Five Quarters of the Orange

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by estelle1806 of Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on 11/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by estelle1806 from Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, November 11, 2018
Hi everybody, I am now managing the Little Free Library #64045 in the suburbs of Dublin, Ireland.
It is also an Official BookCrossing Zone (OBCZ)and its link is here:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/hunt/13/2031/64253/840444 .

Journal Entry 2 by estelle1806 at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, December 01, 2018
This is my choice for the Favourite Book of 2018 Roundabout.
It was published a while ago, but as a fan of Joanne Harris, I wanted to share her talent around and this book is one of my favourites by the style, story, characters...
I re-read it just before letting it go.
Hope you enjoy it, too!

List of Participants:
1 mathgirl40 - Canada - read
2 mcsar - Canada - read
3 valpete - USA - read before
4 Aramena - USA - read
5 earthcaroleanne - UK - read
6 caroline-m - UK - 'read'
7 dark-draco - UK - read before
8 Arvores - Portugal - TBR
9 Fifna - Netherlands
10 Icila - France
11 Lamilla - Belarus
12 estelle1806 - Ireland

Journal Entry 3 by estelle1806 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 03, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (12/3/2018 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Leaving early to start the roundabout of 2018.

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 4 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 19, 2018
This book arrived today, along with a card and wonderful Christmas-themed treats! The ornament has been added to my Christmas tree now. Thank you, estelle1806, for the book, your generosity and the good wishes.

Since the roundabout officially starts in January, I will wait until the new year to begin reading this book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 23, 2019
There were many things I liked about this book: the wonderful characters, the humour and the intricate plot. Best of all were the mouth-watering food descriptions! The novel had a number of sad and melancholy moments, but I still found it a warm and charming story.

Thank for sharing the book, estelle1806. This is a book that I probably would not have picked up were it not for the roundabout.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 24, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (1/24/2019 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 01, 2019
The book arrrived and I will start reading soon. This is the first time I will be reading this author. I must say I am interested as this book is picked as a favourite by estelle1806 and I spotted the author on the bookshelves of quite a few bookcrossers.

-------------------------------

That was a great read. Great story and characterization. I was hooked by the introduction, but the story then slowed a bit and took a while to develop, but part way in and I was fully engaged.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmcsarwing at Favourite Roundabout, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 14, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (3/14/2019 UTC) at Favourite Roundabout, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

On its way to valpete. Sorry for taking so long to send.

Journal Entry 9 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, March 20, 2019
Thanks for sending this along. I'm glad I keep a record of the books I've read; I went back to Goodreads and see I read it 10 years ago and gave it 3 stars of 5 then. I'll move it along at the end of the month.

Journal Entry 10 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, March 31, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (3/31/2019 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Sending off to next reader in 2018 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 11 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, April 08, 2019
Arrived over the weekend.

Journal Entry 12 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, April 28, 2019
I wasn't sure at first if I would like this, it took me quite a bit to get into it. I think I particularly liked the sections about the narrator's childhood, more than the current day, at least up until Luc and his food wagon appeared. I was pretty engrossed at that point, and in the end I did enjoy the book and the writing quite well.

I have an appointment out of the office tomorrow afternoon, and I think I'll be able to slip into the post office on my way back to the office and get this mailed off to the next participant.

Journal Entry 13 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 11, 2019
Arrived today.

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 25, 2019
I am not a lover of Joanne Harris's writing. This book failed to deliver. I kept expecting that the story would unfold with the next turn of the page, but I was disappointed. Half the time I did not know what was going on as I found it was not really explained and I think the writer felt we should understand what was happening when sometimes there was no explanation for it. I did find it hard to really believe that a nine year old could be so calculating and divisive towards her own mother and siblings. At the end, I was left wondering whether it was just me, but the story had not totally unfolded itself. In summary, a disappointing book.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 25, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (5/25/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom

Sending on in the favourites roundabout.

Journal Entry 16 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 17, 2019
Apologies for the delay in journalling this, I thought I'd made an entry when I received it!

I have to admit, I haven't read this book - I've tried the first chapters a couple of times but just haven't been able to get into it. I find that if I'm really not into a book, I start avoiding reading altogether and spend way too much time on my phone :)
So I'm going to let this one go on to the next reader, and see what comes next in the Roundabout!

Journal Entry 17 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 17, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (6/18/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom

On its way to dark-draco!

Journal Entry 18 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 24, 2019
Thank you for sending me this. I really enjoy this author's books and read this back in 2015. This is my review from then ....

I wasn't sure what to expect of this book. I loved 'Chocolat' but wasn't as keen on 'Holy Fools', so I met this with a small amount of trepidation. However, I needn't have worried.

This tells the story of three children brought up in occupied France during the war. Basically left to run wild while their mother suffers migraines and fights morphine addiction, they form an attachment with a young German soldier, swapping gossip in return for black market goods. Fast forward and one of the children, Framboise, has moved back to the town, living in the same house under an assumed name. Her relatives first try to get her mother's recipes from her, then want her mother's story, not realising that Framboise has secrets of her own and won't let herself be manipulated into revealing them.

The two stories, past and present, weave together effortlessly. The character of Framboise is written as different in both - even though it is her adult self telling her childhood story - and the changes wrought on her are evident to the reader. The 'secrets' are a bit easy to guess, but I like that their revelation is kind of slow and gentle - in fact, the whole story has a kind of lethargy to it that I liked. Not that it was boring or slow, far from it, but told in a way that you could feel the small village, the slow passage of the river, the sense of time between each narrative.

And of course, the food. You can't effectively diet while reading on of Harris' books. The food becomes a character itself and I defy you to read this without feeling hungry!

Released 3 mos ago (7/1/2019 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader in the roundabout

Journal Entry 20 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, August 05, 2019
The book is with me know.
Oh my, I'm so late with my readings. Sorry!