Barakamon, Vol. 16

by Satsuki Yoshino | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1975301692 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, November 08, 2018
I was first drawn to check out Volume One of this series after reading this Unshelved.com review. I enjoyed it enough to keep reading, and got this volume from Barnes and Noble. It's a slice-of-life story about a young calligrapher who moves to a remote village to try and recharge his creative energies, and finds himself increasingly caught up in village life - for better or worse!

This volume picks up after the events of Volume 15, with Hiroshi - my favorite character - graduating from high school and preparing to set off to college in Tokyo. Lots of humor and some very poignant bits there. And Handa is trying to get his calligraphy school off the ground, but is learning that his original idea may have to change to match the needs of the available clients.

From the comedy-of-miscommunication with a girl who has a crush on Hiroshi and Just Can't Spit It Out, to Handa and Hiroshi having a surprisingly-deep conversation about little Naru (which segues to an intriguing look at their respective fathers - seems they'd each prefer the other's Dad!), to a distant scene of Kawafuji chatting with Handa's father about how to manipulate Handa into working harder, to a really charming road-trip featuring Handa, Hiroshi (using his brand new driver's license) and Naru as they visit a handsome lighthouse... it's all really charming! I think this is my favorite volume so far...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. And there's an anime, which I'd like to see.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 12, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (11/13/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 E-less release challenge. ***