The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story

by Diane Ackerman | History |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 11/6/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 6, 2018
This is a most fascinating piece of history; I am grateful that an author manages to unearth and write about it so it won't be forgotten.

During the World War II, Polish zookeepers Jan and Antonina Zabinski managed to save over three hundred people from the Nazis by hiding refugees in the empty animal cages.

The beautifully written story is lovely and engaging, there is always this tension there about whether they would be found out, as calamity could befall any moment. And oh, I feel sorry for the hamster.

This book is now going to the animal bookbox. All those animals need a good caretaker.

Journal Entry 2 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Friday, January 25, 2019
Arrived home with the other Animals!! I am intrigued by the history side of this (I especially like the stories that get lost in the bigger picture)

Journal Entry 3 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Wednesday, September 25, 2019
I ended up borrowing this on audio from the library (Hoopla!!), but I would not have sought it out had I not had this book arrive at my house, so thank you!!

This story is more a collection of vignettes than a cohesive narrative. But I liked that she explained more of the episode's ending than having it be in a true narrative setting. There are so many stories of heroes in WWII, and this one highlights the Zabinski's role. To say one person can't make a difference is just not true...they can. I also looked up Antonina Zabinski on Goodreads, and she has several books listed, alas they are in Polish, but they are there.

Journal Entry 4 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Sunday, September 29, 2019
Headed out to kaila-ann as part of the Wishlist Game (as a surprise!!)

Journal Entry 5 by kaila-ann at Galivants Ferry, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
This arrived as an extra gift along with a book for the wishlist tag game!! Thank you so much!!

Journal Entry 6 by kaila-ann at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA on Monday, February 14, 2022
Listened to this one on Hoopla and enjoyed it overall. I felt like the author was kind of all over the place but it was still a Fascinating and well researched story.

Journal Entry 7 by kaila-ann at Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA on Saturday, April 20, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/21/2024 UTC) at Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Released a while back at the crossing zone/free book shelf in the South Tower lobby.