Black Star Nairobi

by Mukoma Wa Ngugi | Unknown |
ISBN: 1612192114 Global Overview for this book
Registered by lesenlesen of Bad Salzuflen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 10/31/2018
Journal Entry 1 by lesenlesen from Bad Salzuflen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, October 31, 2018
für den Adventskalender registriert...

Journal Entry 2 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Saturday, February 09, 2019
Zu meinem Erstaunen ist das Buch noch nicht auf meinem Shelf registriert, obwohl ich es aus dem Adventkalender gezogen hatte.Hiermit nachgeholt. Vielen Dank nochmal für dieses Wunschbuch!!!
---
Aus dem Rückseitentext: "It's december 2007, the Kenyan Presidential Elections have gotten off to a troubled start, with threats of ethnic violence in the air, and the reports about Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the United States are the subject of newspaper editorials and barstool debates. And Ishmael and O have just gotten their first big break for their new detective agency, Black Star.
A mysterious death they're investigating appears to be linked to the recent bombing of a downtown Nairobi Hotel. But local forces start to come down on them to back off the case, and then a startling act of violence tips the scales, setting them off on a round-the-globe pursuit of the shadowy forces behind it all..."
---
It took some time to get the feeling of the time twelve years ago. Definitely not a book for conspiration-theory fans...
It is a story with massive bloodshed on every side, which left me wondering, how the story of the Black Star Agency could possibly go on.
The book will soon start travelling via bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbluezwuzlwing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Friday, February 22, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (2/21/2019 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Das Buch geht jetzt zur ersten Station seiner Ringreise.

Teilnehmer:
- husky
- book-a-billy
- wichtelkoenigin
- ...
- ...
- Samingo
- zurück zu mir

Journal Entry 4 by winghuskywing at Kürnbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, February 23, 2019
kam heute an! Vielen Dank!

edit 10.03.2019:
powerful, dramatic and thrilling to read. sometimes a Little bit too much in fast-Forward mode, but I liked the book a lot. Would also like to read other books about O, Ishmael and their guys.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbook-a-billywing at München, Bayern Germany on Thursday, March 14, 2019
The book arrived safe and sound at my house today. Thanks a lot. It will be read shortly, so that it can soon travel on to the next participant of the ring.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbook-a-billywing at München, Bayern Germany on Monday, March 25, 2019
An exciting detective story with a bit of cultural/ historic background set in Kenya. Although there is a lot of blood shed, however, this is not due to the author's bloodthirsty imagination, but due to the fact, that the conflicts depicted here have always been cruel to the utmost. All in all an interesting setting and story. Thanks for sharing.

Released 1 yr ago (3/28/2019 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

The book has started its journey to the next participant of the ring today.

Journal Entry 8 by Wichtelkoenigin at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 03, 2019
The book has arrived in Cologne today. Can't wait to read it !

Journal Entry 9 by Wichtelkoenigin at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 15, 2019
Crime novels aren't my go-to genre but I enjoyed this book a lot.
Content:
Ishmael grew up in the US but now works as a private detective in Kenya with his partner, O. They are called to investigate a dead body in the forest but they soon find out that this isn't a simple murder case.

What I really loved about this book, apart from the narrator, who is a great detective, is how the female characters were described. In this story, they aren't only decoration as is often the case, but strong and independent people.
Also, I think good and evil are sometimes a bit blurry in this story, that's another thing I liked, it makes the story more realistic. All in all, though, it's the marihuana guys who act as the force for the good here.
As previous readers said, there's a lot of violence in this book, including throwbacks to the war in Rwanda. The main storyline plays out in Kenya, though, so I learned a few things about a country I knew next to nothing about before.

The book is now ready to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 10 by Wichtelkoenigin at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 26, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Finally made it to the post office this morning, sorry it took me so long.

The book is now on its way to Samingo.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 11 by wingSamingowing at Tornesch, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Saturday, April 27, 2019
This book arrived today. It will have to wait until I end the novel I just started...

Journal Entry 12 by wingSamingowing at Tornesch, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, June 03, 2019
I had some trouble finding my way into the story and the characters. All in all an interesting story, but I would rather not read a second book about this detective agency.

Released 11 mos ago (6/7/2019 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Schleswig-Holstein Germany

Thanks for letting me be part of the ring.

Journal Entry 14 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Sunday, June 23, 2019
So, nachdem das Buch schon längst wieder bei mir ist (das Kästchen zum Eintragen der BCID war mysteriöser Weise ein paar Tage verschwunden!), möchte ich mich noch bei allen fürs pflegliche Behandeln bedanken!