The Pie At Night: In Search of the North at Play

by Stuart Maconie | Entertainment | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 009193382X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingyorkshire-lasswing of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 10/29/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingyorkshire-lasswing from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2018
Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, when you have finished it please make a journal entry so that I know what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and completely private your e-mail address is never given out) please say yorkshire-lass sent you. Happy BookCrossing!

Google Overview

Factory, mine, and mill. Industry, toil, and grime. Its manufacturing roots mean we still see the North of England as a hardworking place. But, more than possibly anywhere else, the North has always known how to get dressed up, take itself out on the town, and have a good time. After all, working and playing hard is its specialty, and Stuart Maconie is in search of what, exactly, this entails what it tells us about the North today. Following tip offs and rumor, Stuart takes trip to forgotten corners and locals' haunts. From the tapas bars of Halifax to the caravan parks of Berwick Upon Tweed, from a Westhoughton bowling green to Manchester's curry mile, via dog tracks and art galleries, dance floors, and high fells, Stuart compares the new and old North, with some surprising results. The Pie at Night could be seen as a companion to the bestselling Pies and Prejudice, but it is not a sequel. After all, this is a new decade and the North is changing faster than ever. This is a revealing and digressive journey and a State of the North address, delivered from barstool, terrace, dress circle, and hillside.

Journal Entry 2 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (10/31/2018 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

On its way to a very special BC friend as a birthday gift, hope you enjoy this book from your wishlist.
Have a very Happy Birthday :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 03, 2018
What a fabulous birthday package - books, chocolate, florentines (these are divine, couldn't resist them! 😉), popcorn, buttons & smellies - what more could a girl want? Many thanks for your thoughtfulness xx

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 28, 2019
Maconie has an simple, direct & amusing writing style & usually I find it easy to identify with him, surprisingly in some ways as firstly he's a man..& I'm not!...& secondly he's a....dare I say it?..a Lancastrian Well, I am a Yorkshire-lass through & through.....

This book was a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were parts I found thoroughly enjoyable, especially those set in my own neck of the woods & despite spending my whole life around Huddersfield I've found out things about the town I never knew. There were parts I quite liked & things that caught my interest & have seen me googling for further info (Lowry's paintings of girls or the group Henry Cow for example) & also adding books to my TBR (Jeanette Winterson's "The Daylight Gate" & Robert Aickman's "Dark Entries") But then there were parts that had me glazing over - pretty much anytime football or rugby was mentioned - but I just skimmed those bits & kept going!

It's taken me a while to read this book as it's been one I've kept dipping in & out of but for me its the ideal book for doing that. I enjoyed it although there's one major faux pas in Chapter nine, "Striking Up the Band"- NO mention of the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band!! *tut tut tut* we're world famous for gawd's sake :o)

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 19, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/20/2019 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Taking to the Leeds Meet up for Nu-knees as I know she had been reading one non-fiction a month. If she has read it...or doesn't want it!...it will be up for grabs & failing that will stay in Leeds & be added to the cafe's bookshelf :o)

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 20, 2019
This is one of the books I brought home from Leeds when a few local BookCrossers got together over lunch. Great fun, good to see you all!
I chose this because, as plum-crazy mentioned, I aim to read at least one nonfiction each month and can't always go for the serious stuff, so something light-hearted fits the bill from time to time! Plus I've read other books by this author,:

Pies and Prejudice
Cider with Roadies
Cider with Roadies
Aventures on the High Teas

Journal Entry 7 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 11, 2019
I can't put my finger on why but I'm rather uneasy about this Hymn of Praise to the North and Northern Culture. The title above inludes the tag: In Search of the North at Play, but this copy actually says: What the North Does for Fun - and I find both slightly distasteful for some reason. Somehow the idea of spending a year researching what the working classes, especially but not exclusively the Northern working classes, do in their leisure time unsettles me . . .

Having said that, I enjoyed reading it, particularly reading about places I know and love, perhaps more than his accounts of the events taking place there. My favourite chapter is probably 'Getting a Bit of Fresh Air' about the delights of the outdoors, the Lakes, the Pennines, the Dales and such like, with the last few pages of 'Striking Up the Band' running a close second - I do like to hear a good brass band!

Released 3 wks ago (9/23/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

It's a long time since I've been to a Meet Up with the York BookCrossers but from time to time I like to visit the pub where they gather, preferably for lunch, and swap a book or three on the permanent bookshelves there.

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 9 by TheGreenMan at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 28, 2019
Picked up at the BC Meetup. Have enjoyed all the Stuart Maconie I've read upto this point !