The Dark Angel

by Elly Griffiths | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
I've only recently discovered these engrossing mysteries featuring Doctor Ruth Galloway, forensic archaeologist, and was very pleased to come across another one in the St Michael's Hospice charity shop in Knaresborough this morning. So far I've only read the first and second in the series, The Crossing Places and The Janus Stone, so I might leave this tenth one on the bookshelves until I've read a few more of the earlier titles.

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 02, 2018
Although I haven't read this, I've decided to release it to fulfil a wish list wish for Christmas :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 10, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/10/2018 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Carrying Christmas Greetings to a BookCrossing friend!
This is from a fantastic series - and appears on your Wishlist. Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Thank you so much Nu-knees, what a lovely surprise, I do love this series, I'm sure it won't be on my TBR mountain for too long 😊

The pressie has gone under the tree 'til Christmas Day ����

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 20, 2018
I always enjoy this series & this (book 10) was no exception although it's different to the norm in that it takes Ruth out of her beloved Norfolk. "The Dark Angel" sees her travelling to Italy to help out an old friend who has uncovered some old bones & requires her expertise. The atmosphere of the small Italian village is beautifully evoked - I could nearly smell the lemon trees & feel the warmth of the sun! Of course, there's a murder to solve, the surprise arrival of Nelson & Cathbad & a few odd goings on stir things up a little. It's an entertaining mystery but once again I find myself more focused on the relationships rather than the crime. These are characters that I feel I know & care about. Ruth in particular is very credible. This quote in particular brings her to life for me....

"Check she's got enough sun protection cream, Calpol & mosquito repellent. Oh & plasters. What else does the conscientious mother need? Antiseptic cream? Nit comb? Gin?"

….I can relate to that ;o)

However, what really had me gripped were the events playing out back in Norfolk. The potential outcome had me on the edge of my seat. My sense of unease grew steadily throughout & as the end of the book loomed I found myself almost rushing through the resolution of the Italian murder, desperate to know what was going to happen back home - a real page turner indeed! Roll on book 11...…..