The Vanishing Box

by Elly Griffiths | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 10/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Winter, 1953. A young flower seller is found dead in her room at a Brighton boarding house, posed with chilling perfection into a recreation of the famous painting of the death of Lady Jane Grey. This is a killer unlike any DI Edgar Stephens has encountered before.
Across the city at the Hippodrome theatre, Max Mephisto is top of the bill in a double act with his daughter Ruby. Tarnishing the experience though is one of the other acts, a seedy 'living tableaux' show where barely dressed women strike poses from famous historic scenes. Is the resemblance to the murder scene pure coincidence or is life imitating art?
When another death occurs - this time within the troupe itself - Max once again finds himself involved in one of Edgar's cases. They have faced down serial killers and anarchist bombers together but this threat will come closer to home than anything before. What should be just a job is about to become personal.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 05, 2019
I still enjoy this author's Ruth Galloway mysteries but I find myself getting more and more hooked on the exploits of Stephens and Mephisto. The characters are just as well depicted but the seedier side of the theatre world adds a more sinister twist somehow. I will definitely be reading more. Also I think I read somewhere that the author's Grandfather was a magician though I don't know if that's true.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (2/12/2019 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking to today's mini meet at a mystery location.

If you've found this book and you're new to this, welcome to bookcrossing! I hope you enjoy looking around the bookcrossing site. If you decide to join bookcrossing (it's free, so no reason not to if you're interested!) please feel free to list me (Tanamo) as the member who referred you. Even if you don't join I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a quick journal note so I can see where the book ended up - you can do it anonymously if you wish.

Journal Entry 4 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Picked up over lunch.