House of Sand & Fog

by ANDRE III DUBUS | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 10/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
I will be going to an author event featuring Andre Dubus III this Friday. I have had his well-known novel House of Sand and Fog on my shelf for years, so I decided it was time to read it so I would at least have some familiarity with this author beforehand!! I took it with me on my recent cruise to Bermuda. It is fair to say that perhaps this very emotional dense novel was not the best choice for a carefree vacation read, but still... now it is quite a bit later, so I cannot recall as much as I would like, but it left a very good impression on me, both with the quality of the writing and with the development of the several intersecting lives of characters whose (inevitable?) clashes form the structure of the novel. The three people are all at a somewhat fragile point in their lives. Colonel Behrani is an Iranian forced out of his country with the fall of the shah; he has gone from a life of prestige to scraping together a living with menial work in California, desperately seeking to reassure his family of their future good life. He is a smart man who also carries his pride with him. He finds a way to a promising future by buying a house at auction (perfectly legally) which he moves his wife and son into and plans on selling at a hefty margin. The house had belonged to Kathy Nicolo, an East Coast transplant, former addict, whose husband has abandoned her. The house is inherited from her father but co-owned by a brother back East who misses no opportunity to let her know she is a failure. The house is repossessed for failure to pay taxes... and even though this turns out to be a bureaucratic mistake, Kathy in her depressed state didn't open any of the notices and so finds herself being evicted with no understanding of the process. Enter the third sad but sweet person, Lester, who is one of the policemen who have arrived to oversee the eviction... but he feels sad for Kathy and wants to help her, then becomes smitten... because of course his own marriage is unfulfilling. Every possible emotion, both positive and negative, come into play in this novel where misunderstandings on so many levels leads to tragedy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Monday, October 22, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (10/24/2018 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store and PIzzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the bench near the entrances