Valour at Vimy Ridge: Canadian Heroes of World War I (Amazing Stories)

by Tom Douglas | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 10/20/2018
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 20, 2018
Today my husband and I needed to go to our neighbouring city, Guelph, and we stumbled upon a HUGE book sale while we were there! This is one of the books we brought home.

My life has been rather immersed in First World War history lately as we're approaching the centenary of the Armistice and I have been working hard on a particular project relating to that. I am eager to read the stories of these soldiers.

ETA: This appears to be the first copy of this book registered on bookcrossing! I find that really surprising! It's always kind of cool when that happens, though :)

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
I am glad to have read the stories in this book. I really enjoyed some of them, but given the subject matter "enjoyed" is not the word for most of them; still though, I am glad to know them now.

I have been using this book as a reference for that project I mentioned in my previous entry, and I would like my husband to have the chance to read the book before I let it go, so I'm not sure just when it will leave our household. To be honest, I'm loathe to part with it in a way, but I think these are important stories that need to be shared, so I will release the book-- probably sooner rather than later, but we'll see about that part.

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at New Hamburg Cenotaph in New Hamburg, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (3/26/2019 UTC) at New Hamburg Cenotaph in New Hamburg, Ontario Canada

I held onto this book for the duration of the project I was working on, but it wrapped up within the past week and I have now let this book go. As part of my project, I researched the soldiers named on the New Hamburg cenotaph and I know that at least two of them (Pte. Erbach & Pte. Walker) died at Vimy Ridge. My husband and I had to run an errand in NH tonight anyway, so I thought it was a good opportunity to release the book, and I thought the New Hamburg cenotaph would be a fitting release spot. I left the book in a protective bag, sitting on the bench to the Library side of the cenotaph.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2019 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. New Hamburg was Town #12 for me!