I Really Didn't Think This Through: Tales from My So-Called Adult Life

by Beth Evans | Humor |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 10/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 18, 2018
Book Description: Did you ever wish your best friend—the person you would trust with your innermost secrets, the person whose wisdom and comfort you seek in times of stress or self-doubt—could draw?

Like Mindy Kaling meets Hyperbole and a Half, I Really Didn’t Think This Through gets at the heart of what makes life both so challenging and so joyful—figuring out how to be a person in the world. Armed with her beloved illustrations, popular Instagram artist Beth Evans tackles a range of issues—from whimsical musings to deeply personal struggles—in this imaginative anti-guide to being your own person.

This book is a compendium of Beth’s collected wisdom and stories, interwoven with her tremendously popular and loveable illustrations. The book is a wonderful mix of fun (playful meditations on the band Rush and international pen-pals) and thoughtful (Beth delves into her personal history with obsessive compulsive disorder and depression while commiserating on topics like dating and credit card shame) all with a simple candor that anyone from a teen to their grandparent can relate to. Through all of her experiences, Beth manages to extract valuable lessons, and the book is replete with friendly advice about caring for yourself, getting help no matter what your problems are, and embracing what makes you happy. Beth is a compelling storyteller, her drawings picking up where her words leave off, creating an approachable and immersive experience for the reader. Beth’s work feels like a hug from your best friend. And like a best friend, she’s here to say “You got this!”

My Review: I won this book in a Goodreads giveway. I am not in my 20's, I don't suffer from depression, anxiety or OCD, so I think this book wasn't really for me. I thought there would be more humor and less reality covering these topics.

I have sympathy for people who suffer from depression, etc. so hopefully this book can find another reader who will appreciate it.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Little Free Library - Bells Ferry Rd in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 29, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (11/29/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - Bells Ferry Rd in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Left in the Little Free Library on Noonday Creek Trail near Downtown Woodstock Enjoy the book!