The Whispers

by Greg Howard | Children's Books |
Registered by wiltonlibrarynh on 10/16/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wiltonlibrarynh on Tuesday, October 16, 2018
ARC

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
I was delighted to see so many books released at the library! They're all Advance Readers Copies - meaning that they aren't quite finished yet, sometimes missing maps or artwork, but are still readable. They're on a table in a room downstairs, and include review/recommendation forms that readers can use to let the library staff know whether they'd like to see the official copies added to the library's collection. I was drawn to this one by the title and the cover-art - kid-with-dog peering into glittering grove amid looming dark trees...

Later: So... NOT what I was expecting! Definitely a serious plot-twist in this one, a twist that made sense in context and yet felt strained to me when I hit it. Not that I believed in the whispering fairy-things, necessarily, but I'd interpreted things in a very different light! And I didn't have a solid feel for protagonist Riley - sometimes he seemed like an older teen, sometimes even younger than his stated 11 years.

But while those things made it harder for me to stay in the story, I admit that the final scenes had me tearing up a bit, in a good way!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Kestrel Lane in Westford, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 16, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/17/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Kestrel Lane in Westford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this snowy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***