Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Debut Sunday Times Bestseller and Costa First Novel Book Award Winner 2017

by Gail Honeyman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 10/3/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Wednesday, October 03, 2018
About the Book:
Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

My Review
I found this novel a really tough one to warm up to. Which is a shame because the 2nd half is really quite wonderful.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Mold, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 04, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/4/2018 UTC) at Mold, Wales United Kingdom

Found this in a charity shop in Mold, North Wales and sent it off for
2018 Oppem's Birthday Group

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Friday, October 19, 2018
Thank you so much for the book! My wishlist books are the ones I really want to read so this was perfect. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Monday, November 19, 2018
Oh, quite a story. In the beginning I had a bit of trouble with the story as Eleanor amused me but also irritated me a bit, so after reading some I turned to another book. After a while I picked it up again and it turned out to be quite good. The story is surprisingly rough and touching but Eleanor's character makes it a bit lighter and funny, I did laugh few times here and there. It was actually a perfect read for the social work student in me. Nice combination of light and deep.

This edition is reserved for Annimanni as part of the Finnish Wishlist Tag,

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

Book will (finally) travel to Annimanni as promised.

**************************
Onnea, olet löytänyt vapauttamani kirjan! Se on nyt sinun - voit pitää sen, antaa tuttavallesi tai vapauttaa edelleen. Kiitos kun ilmoitit löytäneesi kirjan! Mikäli haluat, olet tervetullut liittymään Bookcrossing.comiin. :)

Congratulations, you've found a book I've released in the wild. It's yours now - you can keep it, give to someone you know or release it back in the wild. Thank you for letting me know you've found it! If you want, you're welcome to join Bookcrossing.com. :)

Journal Entry 6 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, March 23, 2019
Yes, the book is on its way to Annimanni. It was nice meeting you bookwormess!
Edit. 31.3.2019 I read the book myself. Eleanor's character was interesting and I liked the way how her past was revealed.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Eleanor is here! Thanks very much :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 02, 2020
This is one of those books that keep you up way too late into the night, because you just can't put it down. So now, yawn. :) But yes, I loved Eleanor from the very beginning and was completely absorbed by the time I'd read the first 100 pages or so. I tend to enjoy a mixture of sad and funny and this, of course, was both. I enjoyed the way Eleanor's past was gradually revealed and I adored her way of speaking, her vocabulary (I would've enjoyed this as an audiobook too, I think). The descriptions of her loneliness were incredibly touching and her encounters with the new (good) people in her life heartwarming. All in all, I found the characters quite plausible and authentic, real. Despite all the sadness, this was a true feel good book and perfect reading at this particular moment in time. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 06, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (4/6/2020 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Wishlist tag, enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, April 09, 2020
Thank you so much, can't wait to read this!