Almost Love

by Louise O'Neill | Women's Fiction |
Registered by wingLamillawing of St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on 11/24/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from St. Petersburg/Санкт-Петербург, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on Sunday, November 24, 2019
Paperback, new.

"Almost love" is a contemporary story on devastating effects of unrequited love. I was shocked how true to life O'Neill description is! It was not a pleasant read, but deeply touching one. I must note that the book blurb is a bit misleading - I disagree with "abusive relationship" label

Let me know what you think about the book

Journal Entry 2 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Monday, December 09, 2019
This is my choice for FAVOURITE BOOK OF 2019 ROUNDABOUT

It is not my favourite book of the year (not even the second place), but I rated it 5 stars and it is light and available in English.

Travelling order:
estelle1806 (Ireland)
Fifna (the Netherlands)
dutch-book (the Netherlands)
back to Lamilla

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, December 12, 2019
The book is here, thank you Lamilla.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, January 03, 2020
Everything changes and nothing changes...

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 16, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (1/17/2020 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Billbooks in Australia. Have a nice time.

Journal Entry 6 by Billbooks at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Finally journaled I'm on my reading path again time to get this read and moveed on thaanks Ludmilla

Journal Entry 7 by Billbooks at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 06, 2020
. Sorry Ludmilla IO had trouble with this book. I'd read a few pages put it don dip into another book try this again it just didn 't get me in and I found the main protaganist extremel;y annoying aqnd unsympathetic. shall pass onto Mathgirl40

Journal Entry 8 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 03, 2020
This book has arrived in Canada!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 24, 2020
Reading this book was a roller-coaster ride. I really struggled for the first half of the book, as it was, in so many ways, an unpleasant experience. Yet, like the proverbial train-wreck, I had a hard time tearing my eyes from it and ended up reading the second half rather compulsively (appropriate, as one of the themes is the obsessive behaviour of the main character). I can't say I enjoyed this novel at all, but I think the story will stay with me for a long while.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 24, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (10/24/2020 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 24, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (10/24/2020 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, November 06, 2020
The book is here. I will start reading soon.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Monday, November 16, 2020
It was a tough read, but I really "enjoyed" the book. Yes, the protagonist is not a nice person; but that is part of the point, isn't it? I appreciate books with anti-heroes. I find the book quite compelling. It is definitely one that leaves me ruminating.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, November 19, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (11/20/2020 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

On its way to valpete.

Journal Entry 15 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, November 25, 2020
Received!

Journal Entry 16 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, December 07, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (12/7/2020 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I'm not quite sure what to say about this book. There are so many layers to understanding the protagonist's life choices. Sarah is certainly unlikeable; the story is intense and uncomfortable. A good Roundabout book! Sending it across the Pond to the next Roundabout reader.

Journal Entry 17 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Received ... thank you 😀

Journal Entry 18 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2021
I can't actually believe that I got to the end of this book. Because I really, really, really didn't like Sarah. I can't say that I managed to find an ounce of sympathy for her or the situation that she found herself in. Within the first few pages she turns up to a parent/teacher meeting (she's the teacher!), hungover from a night out drinking and taking drugs, is horrible to her father, and nasty to her boyfriend ... and that was the point that I decided I didn't actually care about what happened to this character. Even when I found out about her past and why she has issues with her father, I couldn't raise an ounce of compassion.

That said, the writing had me hooked. As Sarah self destructs, being rude to everyone around her, obsessing about a person who obviously has no real feelings for her, and basically being an 18 carot bitch, you just have to keep on reading to see how it all ends up. And I really liked the ending - there was no happy ever after, she wasn't forgiven, she has to face the consequences of her selfishness and the author cleverly leaves it all open so you can decide whether she manages to improve or not.