Roadside Picnic

by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingLamillawing of Peterhof, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on 11/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from Peterhof, St. Petersburg (Federal City) Russia on Thursday, November 08, 2018
Foreword by Ursula Le Guin, 2012
Translated into English by Olga Bormashenko, 2012

The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, November 08, 2018
This Soviet sci-fi classics is my selection for Favourite Book of 2018 Roundabout

I read enough of Strugatsky brothers' works in my youth, but not this particular story. I finally got to it this year - and what a treat this was! Authors really managed to capture the grim atmosphere of this proposed future - as well as take a few jabs at the capitalistic values :) I loved the imagination and the ideas explored - as well as the down to earth approach and book narration style.

My own copy is obviously in Russian, so I bought this book specifically for the roundabout.
This is a new translation, hope it's good. If you have any questions nevertheless, feel free to PM me, I'll compare with the original and try to explain as best as I could =)

Enjoy your reading. Let me know what you think of it and what you've enjoyed more - the book or the Tarkovsky's movie version!

1. Estelle1806 - done
8. dark-draco - done
9. Arvores - done
10. Fifna - sent, 21.09
11. Icila

Journal Entry 3 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, November 09, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Is travelling to Estelle1806 early, to avoid New Year postal jams.

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть к Вам, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в Вашем лице.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Oops.. this seems to have been misdirected... I didn't remember signing up for this, but as I don't see my name on the list, maybe I didn't! I wonder if Estelle1806, who this seems to have been meant for, got a book intended for me??
I was rather excited because the book has been neatly wrapped in a bookcover made from magazine paper - and I always do that, especially with bookcrossing books. I usually remove the covers before sending, however. I was impressed by how nice this one is.
So, this unexpected ring could be considered a sort of RABCK ring - I am pretty crazily busy just now but will figure it's a sign I should read it. I will try to get to it soonish although I do have another two rings here just now which I need to read first. Afterwards I will send it on - to Estelle, I assume?

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, December 06, 2018
This bookcrossing ring came in completely by accident thanks to the wrong book going into the wrong envelope. I did not sign up for it, and having read it, I think it was reasonable that I not sign up for it, because this is not my favorite type of book.
What I found intriguing was that so many aspects of this reminded me of what I imagine to be the post Tchernobyl era and area.... and yet this was written years beforehand. There were some elements which also reminded me of Purge by Sofi Oksanen, perhaps the bleakness? On the whole, to the extent that this type of tale can be enjoyable, I enjoyed it.
I'm grateful this made a little detour and will try to get it in the post in the near future.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (1/9/2019 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

So sorry this took so long - I was caught up in a meeting which just ended, and am only now vaguely beginning to see my way clear to doing things like parcelling books and getting them sent off. So this morning, this left the very snowy Swiss Alps and heads to Ireland. I am glad for the unplanned roadside stop of the book, which ended up being appreciated by others in my family who had time to do normal holiday things like read, while I was racing to and fro my meetings! In fact, I'm thinking of ordering a copy for my daughter who didn't get a chance to finish it before she had to return to London, where she works!
I wish you all a brilliant 2019, with wonderful stories, both on and off the page.

Journal Entry 7 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Thanks penelopewanders. I'm glad this book's mis-trip ended up by meeting new readers along the way! Thanks for taking the time to send it on...

Journal Entry 8 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
This was a good read. I enjoyed the main character's story, but I thought it lacked a bit of depth and I would have liked a bit more details. It seems everything was left as a slight blur, like the aliens' visit...
Thanks for sharing, Lamilla.
It will go on its travels next Monday.

Journal Entry 9 by wingestelle1806wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 03, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (2/4/2019 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

On its way to mathgirl40!

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 10 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 01, 2019
This book is now with me. Looking forward to reading it, as I'm a big fan of science fiction!

Journal Entry 11 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
I liked very much the premise of the book, that aliens stopped by for a visit and left a bunch of artifacts. This leads to all sorts of interesting questions. Are these items treasures or alien garbage? How do humans deal with the aftermath of this first-contact event?

This story reminded me a little of Kurt Vonnegut's works, with its moments of absurdity and social commentary. I also enjoyed the foreword by Ursula Leguin and the afterword by one of the authors, describing the challenges they went through in getting the book published (which is a different take on "absurdity").

Journal Entry 12 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (3/12/2019 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to mcsar now.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 26, 2019
The book arrived. Happy to receive a sci-fi as it's been a while since my last one. I will start on it soon.

-------------------------
Updated April 8, 2019

I enjoyed this one a lot. Good classic sci-fi. The narration is very engaging and I like the premise of the book and the philosophizing moments.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmcsarwing at Favourite Roundabout, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/10/2019 UTC) at Favourite Roundabout, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

On its way to valpete.

Journal Entry 15 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, April 13, 2019
I rarely read sci-fi, so look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 16 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 02, 2019
As I suspected, Sci-Fi is not my cup of tea.

Journal Entry 17 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, May 02, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/2/2019 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Sending to next reader in 2019 Roundabout!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, May 06, 2019
Arrived today. I just started another book (for the 2017 Roundabout), so this one will be up next after that one.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, June 03, 2019
I finished this over the weekend and what an interesting read! I feel unfinished - I have so many unanswered questions. I would've liked to have known more about what it was like at the time of the visits, and more about Red's daughter. I really liked the narration in the first section, when Red was narrating in first person POV, and was a little disappointed when the focus moved to another character and that narration stopped. Though I really enjoyed Richard and Valentine's conversation in Richard's section.

I'll get this out to earthcaroleanne ASAP!

Journal Entry 20 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Arrived in the post today.

Journal Entry 21 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 26, 2019
I’ve got to start by saying this is not a genre I usually read. However I liked the premise of the book, once I got there, that aliens stopped by briefly for a visit leaving nothing behind but incomprehensible refuse and strange, deadly phenomena in an area called The Zone. Just as humans might do on their own days out – we leave too much rubbish behind us EVERYWHERE! That said, it really was a bit disappointing following the life of Red. In its defence, the sections of the book where the main character enters The Zone are great, but the ending felt like the author ran out of ideas about where to take the plot as the book ended rather suddenly.

Journal Entry 22 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 27, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (6/29/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom

Passing on in the roundabout

Journal Entry 23 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 08, 2019
Just arrived with me, I enjoy a bit of scifi so I'm looking forward to giving this a go

Journal Entry 24 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 26, 2019
Sorry for holding this up for so long!

I really liked the premise of the book, that Earth had been affected by aliens but we don't know what to make of it as all we are left with is the aftermath which we don't really understand.

I liked that this was coupled with interesting characters, I thought Red and the relationships he had with the other stalkers were really well-written, and then I enjoyed the story of what happens with his daughter but ultimately I felt like a good idea wasn't capitalised on, I would like to have read a longer and more involved version of this book.

Journal Entry 25 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 26, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/27/2019 UTC) at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom

On it's way to Dark-Draco

Journal Entry 26 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 02, 2019
Received - thank you :)

Journal Entry 27 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 23, 2019
Loved this - and so want to read more about The Zone - what a fascinating place! Why do the dead rise? How can people near the zone attract more accidents? What does Hell Slime do? I loved it and was completely fascinated by the place and what it would mean to humanity.

The actual story itself was a bit of a let down - the characters were ok but I sort of felt you never got a chance to really get to know any of them. And the ending was a bit confusing - I re-read it a couple of times to understand what had actually happened.

But on the whole, I'm very, very glad I read this and would love to track down the film that was based on it. Another Masterworks to cross of the TBR list!

Released 11 mos ago (11/18/2019 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 29 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
It's now with me.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 30 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, January 20, 2020
I'm passing this on to Fifna today. I was really busy for the last few months and didn't do much reading. I'm sorry I stalled this.

Journal Entry 31 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 24, 2020
Arrived safely, thanks Arvores!

Journal Entry 32 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, September 21, 2020
I read this early this year, and then it got stuck in the whole corona pandemic chaos. Kind of back on track with things, and as I went to make release notes I discovered I hadn't jotted my thoughts down. I quite enjoyed this even though I don't read much science fiction. The premise is great and the section in The Zone are good. Like some of the other readers I felt the end was a bit flat/rushed. A true roundabout book for me: one I would not otherwise have come across, so thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 33 by wingFifnawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, September 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/21/2020 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Icila, its final stop.

Journal Entry 34 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, September 26, 2020
In my mailbox this morning. Thanks a lot.