The Watchmaker of Filigree Street

by Natasha Pulley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingTrojanhorsewing of Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on 9/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingTrojanhorsewing from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2018
From the inside front cover:
"In 1883, Thaniel Steepleton returns to his tiny flat to find a gold pocketwatch on his pillow. When the watch saves Thaniel's life from a blast that destroys Scotland Yard, he goes in search of its maker, Keita Mori - a kind, lonely Japanese immigrant..."

A brand new replacement copy for the bookray. The original got lost in the post. :(
Bookray discussion: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/546350

Elizardbreath - US - US
Vaga-bonde - US (from march) - US
CanticleLost - US - Int’l
Mankyi <---------book is here

Journal Entry 2 by wingTrojanhorsewing at Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 11, 2018
I've just finished the novel and it wasn't at all what I expected! I'm at a loss to give a review without revealing any spoilers so I'll just say that it started off well but midway it started to baffle me!
I'll package it up soon and send it to the next in the bookray.
Thanks for your patience everyone.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTrojanhorsewing at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 19, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (11/20/2018 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending this copy to Jotka who is next in the ray. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Wednesday, November 28, 2018
I've received the book today. Thank you very much for sending it!
January 2019
It was a really nice reading but at the end I was a little bit confused.

Journal Entry 5 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/9/2019 UTC) at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany

On its way to McSar. Sorry it took so long but I wanted to send it after Christmas and than I was ill.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, January 26, 2019
Thank you Jotka for sending the book along with a beautiful window decoration (?) showing artwork from your hometown. Thank you Trojanhorse for buying a replacement copy to keep the bookray going and Femke85 for starting the ray. I love finding the origami hidden in the book.

------------------------------
Updated February 4, 2019

I enjoyed this one a lot and found it quite immersive. I am keen to read more of her work.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmcsarwing at Next Reader, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (2/6/2019 UTC) at Next Reader, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Gorydetails who is next on the list. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2019
The bookray book reached me today, just ahead of a snowstorm. Love the little origami birds tucked inside! Will read it and get it moving along soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 18, 2019
I enjoyed this one! It's a delightfully quirky tale with aspects of steampunk (Mori's wonderful devices, especially little Katsu the octopus), magical realism (Mori's precognition), and some will-they-or-won't-they relationship tangles - which, I was delighted to find, came out the way I'd hoped by the end of the book! The author has fun with the see-the-future tropes, including inflicting poor Mori with a memory that alters depending on which future possibility winds up coming true; if he foresaw a path in which he knew a piece of music, for example, he "knows" it now, but if that path does not happen then he'll have forgotten it. Yeah, makes his relationships with others a bit problematic - poor Thaniel!

Very lively and entertaining!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 18, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (2/18/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer elizardbreath in Arkansas, the next hop in the bookray. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 11 by elizardbreath at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, February 27, 2019
This arrived today---thank you!

Journal Entry 12 by elizardbreath at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, March 02, 2019
I gave this one a good go but can't seem to get into it. I'll go ahead and pass it along and maybe pick it up another time.

Sending to Vaga-bonde tomorrow. Enjoy!

Tracking #: 9449009699937341362148

Journal Entry 14 by wingvaga-bondewing at New York City, New York USA on Thursday, March 07, 2019
Got the book today. Thanks to whomever left beautiful origami cranes in it! Will get to it as soon as I've finished my current read.

Journal Entry 15 by wingvaga-bondewing at New York City, New York USA on Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (3/12/2019 UTC) at New York City, New York USA

I didn't know what to expect from this book. After reading it, I can say it's not really my cup of tea, even though I usually like victorian literature. The characters are interesting, but I thought the whole plot took too long to set in place, for a result that fizzles out at the end. Anyway, it was worth a try. Thanks Trojanhorse for offering this read.
I mailed the book today to CanticleLost, last on this bookray.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 16 by CanticleLost at Clearwater, Florida USA on Thursday, March 21, 2019
Received from the Ray, last night!

Journal Entry 17 by CanticleLost at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, August 03, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (8/3/2019 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Off to Switzerland! Mankyi was messaged the tracking info.
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 18 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, August 07, 2019
I found this lovely book in my post box today. Thank you, CanticleLost, for sending this book to me.