Open House

by Elizabeth Berg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by allbookedup of Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on 4/3/2004
Journal Entry 1 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Saturday, April 3, 2004
Book Description

Samantha's husband has left her, and after a spree of overcharging at Tiffany's, she settles down to reconstruct a life for herself and her eleven-year-old son. Her eccentric mother tries to help by fixing her up with dates, but a more pressing problem is money. To meet her mortgage payments, Sam decides to take in boarders. The first is an older woman who offers sage advice and sorely needed comfort; the second, a maladjusted student, is not quite so helpful. A new friend, King, an untraditional man, suggests that Samantha get out, get going, get work. But her real work is this: In order to emerge from grief and the past, she has to learn how to make her own happiness. In order to really see people, she has to look within her heart. And in order to know who she is, she has to remember--and reclaim--the person she used to be, long before she became someone else in an effort to save her marriage.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGhaneschawing at Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Friday, March 4, 2011
habe mich sofort festgelesen....sehr gut geschrieben, später mehr

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Picked it up at the Salzkammergut meeting. It's not really my cup of tea, but maybe I can find a new reader at the meeting in Belgium next month. Or at the Nottingham UnConvention.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at 't Zand in Brugge, West-Vlaanderen / Flandre Occidentale Belgium on Saturday, July 9, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (7/16/2011 UTC) at 't Zand in Brugge, West-Vlaanderen / Flandre Occidentale Belgium

For the Brugge meet-up.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, July 17, 2011
I'm glad it didn't make it to Nottingham, but stopped at my adress !
Looks like just my kind of book.
Thank you apoloniax (i'm going to put this as a fixed expression in my spellingchecker)

Journal Entry 6 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, March 28, 2013
Great book. I'm very sorry I kept it for so long, certainly after having read it in what .. one or two sittings ?
Shame, should 've travelled earlier.
It is now going overseas to someone who requested it from the VBB.

Oh and, no spoilers there : I would have fallen for King myself ... !

Journal Entry 7 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (3/28/2013 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Step away ... this honey is travelling :)

Journal Entry 8 by debbie4osu at Lewisville, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 9, 2013
I picked this book from greenbadger's Alphabet VBB. Bloedengel was very generous and sent the book to Texas, along with a postcard and a chocolate bar. Thanks so much for all of the goodies!
Merci beaucoup pour le livre et le chocolat. Merci, merci beaucoup!

Journal Entry 9 by debbie4osu at Lewisville, Texas USA on Saturday, January 3, 2015
All finished and ready to travel.

Journal Entry 10 by debbie4osu at Lewisville, Texas USA on Saturday, May 9, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (5/8/2015 UTC) at Lewisville, Texas USA

Sent to readertoo for a Surprise bookring book found on the forums. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 11 by wingReadertoowing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2015
I just received this in the mail today from debbie4osu as part of the Surprise book ring. I'm excited to be able to read it because it's from one of my favorite authors! Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 12 by wingReadertoowing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, June 5, 2015
This was a little bit hard to get into but it ended up being an enjoyable book. I am ready to pass it on so I will look for opportunities to do so. (i Will reserve this bookd for the General Literature VBB Round 12 sponsored by bookstogive.)

Journal Entry 13 by wingReadertoowing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, July 10, 2015
From the back cover:
Open House is the story of one woman't struggle to come to terms with divorce. Berg's graceful prose is laced with clear-eyed insights about the way conventional wisdom colors our perceptions. Her account of how Sam learns to get in touch with her own needs and feelings is deft and inspiring.