Golden Hill

by Francis Spufford | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 9/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2018
Spufford's wonderful story of a newcomer to New York in 1746. Richard Smith arrives with an order for 1000 pounds that he wants to cash in, but since he's unknown in the city, it's unclear to anyone including the reader whether the quick-tongued and uncategorisable Richard is a rich young man or a fraudster. This is beautifully, beautifully written and provides vividly the atmosphere of 18th century New York in a way that can't fail to captivate.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (10/6/2018 UTC) at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Released in the Book Swap Game at the Ipswich Unconvention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, October 06, 2018
... and I got it :-) And I think you got mine!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, October 31, 2018
I picked up another copy in a charity shop, so this one may continue its travels.

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 01, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (11/1/2018 UTC) at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany

Travelling to jeniwren for the wishlist tag game.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 14, 2018
Thankyou for the tag and really looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 07, 2019
Reserved for New Zealand tag game recipient.

Journal Entry 8 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 20, 2019
Just as the characters in the novel are unsure of the young handsome protagonist and his motives who presents as well read, able to speak several languages and mixing with the New York Elite so was this reader. There is plenty of action and a few near scrapes with danger to keep any reader invested in the story although my interest did wane towards the end but where the author does excel is with the depiction of the era.

Journal Entry 9 by wingjeniwrenwing at Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 20, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (1/20/2019 UTC) at Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand

Wishlist tag game recipient. Enjoy and happy reading :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 05, 2019
A wonderful letter box surprise, just about to take a weeks leave so this will be a delight.

Off as part of the wishlist tag game as soon as I read it.

This was on my wishlist due to a great review. Received as part of wishlist tag and I am delighted to send it on. What a great non stop read of a genre I don't usually read. And I loved the unforseen twist.

Journal Entry 13 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2019
Arrived safe and sound this morning. Thanks very much for the tag x