Classic American women writers: Sarah Orne Jewett, Kate Chopin, Edith Wharton, Willa Cather (Perennial library ; P 502)

by Cynthia Griffin Wolff | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingemmejowing of Cortland, New York USA on 9/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingemmejowing from Cortland, New York USA on Friday, September 21, 2018
This book was given to me by a friend a few years ago, but I never seem to get around to reading it. I'm going to go ahead and let it travel on in my Anthology Bookbox. If it happens to come back to me at some point, hopefully it will be at a time when I feel more ready to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 21, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (9/21/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the books starting out in The Anthology Assortment Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
I'm claiming this vintage paperback from the Anthology bookbox. It includes several stories by each of the four featured authors, an impressive combination!

Later: While Wharton's far and away my favorite of the four authors included here, this collection highlights some of the less well-known stories of each, and makes for some fascinating comparisons.

Of Jewett's stories, "A White Heron" is especially poignant: a young girl is fascinated by a man visiting the area in search of birds for his collection, and when he offers a significant sum of money if she'll show him the nesting place of a white heron, she has a difficult decision to make...

Kate Chopin has more stories in this collection than any of the others, seven compared to three or four, but they're choice ones, including "Desiree's Baby" with its wrenching twist, and "The Story of an Hour," one of the more unusual and dramatic takes on a "loved one is thought dead" scenario.

Wharton's stories include "Souls Belated," a chilling study of a couple who have defied society to be together - and then run into some unexpected obstacles in themselves, and "The Other Two," an unusual look at several people linked by marriage and divorce - with a scene that might be a bit more common today than when the book was written, but which is hardly any less awkward now!

Cather's stories include "The Sculptor's Funeral," in which increasingly-sad truths come out, and "The Best Years", her last story, which has poignant details about memory and the passage of time.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 11, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (11/11/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this bright, chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***