Circling the Sun

by Paula McLain | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of on 9/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

"NEW YORK TIMES" BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY NPR, "BOOKPAGE, "AND "SHELF AWARENESS" "" Paula McLain is considered the new star of historical fiction, and for good reason. Fans of "The Paris Wife" will be captivated by "Circling the Sun, "which . . . is both beautifully written and utterly engrossing. Ann Patchett, "Country Living"

Paula McLain, author of the phenomenal bestseller "The Paris Wife, " now returns with her keenly anticipated new novel, transporting readers to colonial Kenya in the 1920s. "Circling the Sun" brings to life a fearless and captivating woman Beryl Markham, a record-setting aviator caught up in a passionate love triangle with safari hunter Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen, who as Isak Dinesen wrote the classic memoir "Out of Africa."
Brought to Kenya from England as a child and then abandoned by her mother, Beryl is raised by both her father and the native Kipsigis tribe who share his estate. Her unconventional upbringing transforms Beryl into a bold young woman with a fierce love of all things wild and an inherent understanding of nature s delicate balance. But even the wild child must grow up, and when everything Beryl knows and trusts dissolves, she is catapulted into a string of disastrous relationships.
Beryl forges her own path as a horse trainer, and her uncommon style attracts the eye of the Happy Valley set, a decadent, bohemian community of European expats who also live and love by their own set of rules. But it s the ruggedly charismatic Denys Finch Hatton who ultimately helps Beryl navigate the uncharted territory of her own heart. The intensity of their love reveals Beryl s truest self and her fate: to fly.
Set against the majestic landscape of early-twentieth-century Africa, McLain s powerful tale reveals the extraordinary adventures of a woman before her time, the exhilaration of freedom and its cost, and the tenacity of the human spirit.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at on Monday, May 20, 2019
This novel tells the story of Beryl Markham who grew up in Kenya in the 1920s and later became the first person to fly from East to West across the Atlantic. Beryl came to Africa as a young girl with her parents but was then abandoned by her mother who leaves Beryl and her father to return to England. Her father operates a horse ranch in Kenya and Beryl soon becomes proficient at horse training in a male dominated field. When her father's ranch goes bust, he moves to South Africa leaving Beryl in Kenya in a loveless marriage to her first husband, Jock Purves. But Beryl perseveres and makes acquaintances with others in the Kenyan society including Karen Blixen who wrote Out of Africa and her lover Denys Finch Hatton with whom Beryl falls into a disastrous relationship. She later marries a rich English socialite, Mansfield Markham, who enables Beryl to continue as a horse trainer in Africa but her heart belonged to Denys. Denys encouraged her to learn to fly which led to her record flight across the Atlantic.

This was a very well-written novel and brought Kenya in the 1920s to life. I saw the movie version of Out of Africa many years ago and now would like to see it again. I also want to read the book as well as Markham's memoir, West With the Night. Markham was definitely a very flawed person but her life makes for very interesting reading.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at on Monday, May 20, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (5/20/2019 UTC) at

Sending to ReallyBookish in PA...a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at on Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Received today. Thank you very much for the tag!

Journal Entry 5 by wingReallyBookishwing at on Saturday, August 17, 2019
I've found myself with two copies of this book, so I am marking this one as available. I need to free up a little space on my physical shelves, so I hope to get it moving along soon.

Journal Entry 6 by wingReallyBookishwing at on Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (8/22/2019 UTC) at

This is headed out to dvg as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by dvg at on Friday, August 30, 2019
Arrived safely in NJ. Thank you so much, ReallyBookish, for tagging me with a wishlist book. I am so excited to able to read this one. Happy dance to Mt TBR. =)