On the Odd Hours (Louvre Collection)

by Eric Liberge | Graphic Novels | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
I got this softcover from an online seller. It's another entry in the enchanting - and varied - "Louvre Collection" of graphic novels. Other titles I've enjoyed include The Sky Over the Louvre and Glacial Period.

In this book, a burly guy with a Mohawk haircut and a short temper winds up becoming the special night guard at the Louvre, having been tapped for the position by an eccentric little man who explains that his job is to tend to the souls of the works of art - during the "odd hours". Sure enough, there are rituals for triggering the release of the spirits of the artworks - in some cases the models, in others apparently the subjects, and in some the inspiration - leading to the massive statue of winged Nike floating through the air, and for a frolicsome young king to cartwheel through the galleries...

This would be whimsical except that the outer world keeps interfering. Our man - who's deaf, something that's not really a factor in his work at the museum but which causes him lots of stress in dealing with officials - tends to lose his cool too easily, and when he tries to explain as much as he's permitted of his new (and secret) job, his girlfriend and other friends think he's either mad or too lazy to get a proper job. Luckily the museum director knows what's what, and our hero may have found his niche...

I admit I found this one a little hard to read, as the panels are often quite small, the color palette a bit muddy, and the details hard to make out. The general effect was clear enough, and perhaps someone with younger eyes might not have as much trouble {wry grin}.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 11, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (10/12/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Tick Tock release challenge. ***