A Cup of Christmas Tea

A book for all seasons
by Tom Hegg | Poetry |
ISBN: 1939881099 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 11, 2018
I got this hardcover - inscribed to a previous owner, and signed by both the author and the illustrator - from the local library's ongoing book sale, for another release copy.

When I first read A Cup of Christmas Tea, in the year it first came out, I feared something rather saccharine - but was pleasantly surprised. While this little story-in-rhyme is something of a tear-jerker, it's also surprisingly tart, especially when the narrator has to confront his own fears about visiting his aging great-aunt. He's reluctant to go, out of fear of seeing his once-lively relative now suffering from the effects of a stroke and advancing age, and his debate with himself about whether to go or not leads up to the actual visit. Having felt similar fears about aging relatives as the years have gone by makes the book even more poignant to me now...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 14, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/14/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I took this book to the holiday book-swap at the monthly book-group at the Book Cellar. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2018 What's In A Name release challenge. ***