I Can Transform You (Apex Voices)

by Maurice Broaddus | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1937009173 Global Overview for this book
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 9/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, September 13, 2018
This is a pair of short stories; "I Can Transform You" a cyberpunk crime-solver that accepts a possibility of cultural and racial tensions ignored by most future-fic, and infuses well-known fears of government with a modern distrust of the police to counteract the usually vague consequences of cyberpunk crime. The other tale is"Pimp My Airship" which alternates between tongue-in-cheek humor and genre-savvy hijinks before slapping you with a realism reminder.

Both stories do a great job of showcasing Broaddus's talents for character creation and world-building. The plot may fall a bit flat at times and a few allegories may be a bit blunt for some reader's taste, but chances are you'll be distracted enough not to care.

NOTE: Signed copy.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 21, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (9/21/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the books starting out in The Anthology Assortment Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Anthology bookbox; how could I resist a book containing a story titled "Pimp My Airship"?

Later: I loved the world-building here, especially in the title story - not a pleasant place, but it felt all too real, and had a vibe that I liked. (The airship story was much shorter and didn't have quite as much impact, but it had its moments!)

I left this book in this Little Free Library on the Harvard University grounds; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***