Ghost Stories of the First World War

by Maria Da Silva, Andrew Hind | Horror | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 9/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 11, 2018
I bought this book in 2017 and I meant to register it at that time, but it got missed somehow. Anyway, I am registering it now and it seems that this will be the first copy of Ghost Stories of the First World War registered on bookcrossing! That's always kind of cool to know :)

I don't do especially well with ghost stories (I get scared really easily), and I have several books of them to read at the moment, but this one is Priority #1 right now. We're coming up on the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, so I am trying to read some WW1 books that I have around.

I don't have specific plans for releasing this one yet, but I still have to read it first, anyway!

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 17, 2018
I finished reading this book this morning. It did scare me-- no surprise there!

One thing that surprised me about this book was that some of the stories weren't about ghosts but other paranormal phenomena. That's not of great importance to me really, I just wasn't expecting it. I also noticed a factual error that bothered me-- Lusitania was not one of Titanic's sister ships. Titanic's sisters were RMS Olympic and HMHS Britannic; Lusitania's sisters were RMS Mauretania and RMS Aquitania. That seems like a super easy thing to fact check, so while it's a little thing, it really bothered me that they got it wrong and-- between two authors, an editor, etc-- the error made it into print.

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Cenotaph Green in Port Stanley, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 22, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (2/22/2019 UTC) at Cenotaph Green in Port Stanley, Ontario Canada

My husband and I spent today in the area where he grew up, which included a stint of living in Port Stanley. He showed me the house where he lived and a couple of well-known town places (Mackies, etc), and showed me what a beach is like in the wintertime! Before we left town we stopped to admire the local cenotaph, and I left this book in a protective bag, hanging on the sidewalk side of one of the benches around the cenotaph green (on the canal side).

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2019 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. Port Stanley was Town #9 for me!