Deviate: The Creative Power of Transforming Your Perception

by B. Lotto | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingLamillawing of Minsk, anywhere Belarus on 9/10/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Monday, September 10, 2018
Paperback, new. Bought in Moscow

The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Sunday, October 20, 2019
Reserved for the book & bookmark sweeps

Journal Entry 3 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, October 25, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (10/25/2019 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть к Вам, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в Вашем лице.

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, November 02, 2019
Thank you very much Lamilla for this interesting book and the Van Gogh postcard and magnetic bookmark.
I'm not much into art, but actually Vincent Van Gogh is a painter I really like. How did you know? : )
Your choices are spot on!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, April 02, 2020
The subject of this book was very interesting, but Beau Lotto often roamed on different fields, he spent nearly all the book to pave the way to explain his "Deviate" concept, but when finally he came on the point, he didn't spent as much time as expected or as many examples on a more individual level to analyse this.

I found the author often boastful for having notice stuff that we all have notice or wander about and this was annoying. Don't get me wrong, who am I to judge a neuroscientist or look down on his studies, work and knowledge? Of course I wouldn't be able to explain most of the situations described on the book and the author did a great job explaining the how and why-s! But starting from different life experiences, I think most people have wondered if the blue colour one sees is the same blue colour your next person sees or if the world we perceive through our senses is a real one, while most people know that often there are optical illusions when for example the very same item is placed on a light or darker background, and most people agree that traveling on a new country or starting a new hobby or learning a new language expands and diversifies your way of thinking. Maybe we can't explain this in a scientific way or why it is so, but we have think about those things. Sometimes the author presents this stuff as novel concepts and I found this irking!
I definately appreciated the explanation he gave for this kind of stuff, although I believe he was beating the bush a lot.

When he at last came on the Deviate point on the final chapters of the book, he wrote a very nice analysis on how education and buisiness and society should benefit from a different way of thinking, but I was expecting after all those pages full of examples and experiments and anecdotes on preliminary concepts, that they would lead to an equal analysis on how to deviate on a personal/individual level. The author didn't stay here for long though!

Last but not least, some anecdotes in the book felt a bit like Oscar speaches under cover :"I thank my professor who made me so and so and my collegues at so and so who teached me to such and such and my loving wife and children..."
I felt some people and incidents took an honorary place in the book without real reason other than the author mentioning them!

All in all, while I found the main ideas about this book interesting and I found my self relating with many of the author's views and advice, something on the format and writting style of the book was off. It proved to be a much more slow and averrage read that I expected, although I don't regret reading it!

Thanks Lamilla for always providing different and diverse books I wouldn't have read otherwise!