A Gathering Light

Gorgeous reading!
by Jennifer Donnelly | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 1/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, January 05, 2019
"If George Clooney had walked into the room, I would have told him to come back later when I'd finished." (Sunday Telegraph) (What a fitting BC label, I did not plan this!)

"Based on a real murder at the turn of the century, this outstanding debut novel is a powerful and moving coming-of-age bok. Mattie is torn between her familial responsibilities, her desire to be a writer, and the excitement of a first romance. Her dilemmas and choices are quietly reflected in the life of a young woman found drowned in a lake, a woman that Mattie only gets to know through reading her letters."

Purchased as a birthday present for a Birthday Group member who has it in her WishList.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, January 11, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (1/11/2019 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent as a Birthday Group present to Kiki66, who has it in her WishList, together with a little extra something to help her celebrate.
Happy Birthday... and enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, February 01, 2019
Thank you so much!
I am looking forward to reading this one - while waiting for George :-))

Journal Entry 4 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, May 27, 2019
So, what to say... I am - again - ambivalent about a book..
I read through some of the reviews here and agreed and disagreed.
Like it wasn't a book which held me captive, I could put it down easily. I even thought it rather slow in the beginning. I also didn't like the black and white attitude towards motherhood <-> career.
Besides that I did like the way she started with two "time zones" and slowly let the one time catch up with the other.

Thank you again Bookworm-lady for this wishlist book!

Journal Entry 5 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, June 22, 2019
On its way to France - this is a ray so do as you please after reading :-)

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Monday, July 08, 2019
This arrived with a few other rays and RABCKs - thanks so much! This sounds like a good holiday read. Happy bookiversary to you, bookworm-lady, and thanks for sending, Kiki!

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Monday, November 04, 2019
I read this on the train between Brussels and Mulhouse, and enjoyed it very much. The characters and images are strong, and Mattie's struggles are moving. As I love language and words, having the word a day challenge was fun, and I was in admiration of the neologisms Mattie came up with. Weaver too, was a beguiling character. This came as a bookcrossing RABCK and it was a real treat, thanks. It's now in Switzerland. Perhaps I'll offer it on the forum.
Just a heads-up, this is also known as A Northern Light.