Of Beasts and Beings

by Ian Holding | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Arvores of Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on 9/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Arvores from Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Sunday, September 09, 2018
Oh my, I'm SO happy to send this book to the winner of the "Wings or Wish List" sweeps. I guess it's a wave of good luck. Good for you :-)
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by keeta1 at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 22, 2018
It's here Arvores :) :)
Many thanks!

In this searing and timely novel, reminiscent of the work of J.M. Coetzee and Cormac McCarthy, the devastating effects of a country's economic and moral collapse provide the backdrop for a story about individual fortitude and conscience. In an unnamed and post-apocalyptic African republic, militiamen seize a scavenger as he is digging for roots, or anything that will nourish him and keep him alive. He is traded and ransomed and ends up in the hands of another group, whose members include a pregnant woman whom he is forced to carry in a wheelbarrow on a nightmarish and seemingly endless overland journey. This story alternates with the diary entries of a white schoolteacher who, embittered by the horrific state of his country, is preparing to leave. Before he can do so, however, he must confront his own demons and personal failings. Both narrators are in danger and both are apparently helpless to control their fates. When these two plotlines brilliantly and surprisingly unite the result is electrifying, shocking, and brilliant. With sparse and heartbreaking prose Ian Holding asks vital questions about personal responsibility, choice, and truth.

Journal Entry 3 by keeta1 at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 31, 2019
A difficult book to write a review for, without spoiling the ending for others.
A book of 4 parts, two concerning the captive and his rather harrowing journey and two concerning the schoolteacher (a right prat), who is having doubts about leaving his country. It does have a surprise ending, especially regarding the captive.
In difficult times how do we reconcile the difference between who we have been and who we wish we had been, is what the schoolteacher is trying to work out.

Journal Entry 4 by keeta1 at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 03, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (3/3/2019 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to the winner of the Authors from Unusual Countries sweep - congratulations and enjoy the book shower :)

Journal Entry 5 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 02, 2019
Thank you. You're spoiling me with all these books.