Manfried the Man: A Graphic Novel

by Caitlin Major | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 168369015X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingHI77wing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingHI77wing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2018
A cutei nversion of worlds,

but wouldn't we all like
a man for a pet?

Journal Entry 2 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

ha ha The concept of this one was a riot! :)

How could I possibly resist reading it?

The execution of the storyline didn't hold up to the hype really. Sad though that is. I found myself getting bored in parts. Still, it was highly amusing to see a 'little man' turned into something like a pet cat. And his meow of 'Hey' was just too funny.

So while I don't think it was the best thing ever, I still really enjoyed it and I keep thinking of it here and there. I'd read it again if I found another copy. :)

But now it's part of a trade and so off it goes to a new reader! ;)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 22, 2018
The Big Box of Trade Books arrived safely today; many thanks! Couldn't resist the concept on this one - I still recall a hilarious episode of the "Dharma and Greg" TV series featuring Teller (of the stage magician duo Penn and Teller) playing a man-acting-like-a-cat. It was eerily effective!

Later: I really enjoyed this, despite the often-disturbing and surreal weirdness of seeing all those tiny naked men acting somewhere in between cats and people. That is, they're clearly not much more intelligent than actual cats, and can apparently only say "Hey", but they can manipulate tools, develop long-range weapons, and otherwise be more human than animal when it suits the artist's whim.

That said, I found the various uses of "Hey" (aka "Meow") hilarious, from the "feed me" version to the "want to be friends" style. And I was surprisingly touched by poor Manfried's trials when he got lost outside; scary stuff for a house-cat - er, house-man. (The delightful series Chi's Sweet Home has some plots featuring an actual kitten lost and frightened, though luckily she always gets rescued in a timely fashion.)

I was glad that some of the other cat-characters lit into Steve, Manfried's owner, for his rather lackluster care of his pet. And that Steve paid attention!

Lots of laughs, some very surreal moments - fun!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/7/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to give this to a friend whose love of cats and weird sense of humor might make it a good match. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***