Pavane for a Dead Girl, Vol. 1

by Koge Donbo | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingHI77wing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingHI77wing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2018
They pull the music

of an endless world out,
string by string strung.

Journal Entry 2 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

The artwork for this one is very pretty and I had high hopes for it.

I read it awhile ago but don't really remember a whole lot. I remember thinking it wasn't bad but I don't think there are any more volumes available so I just moved on.

Now it's part of trade. So off to a new reader! ;)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 22, 2018
The Big Box of Trade Books arrived safely today; many thanks! Can't tell from the cover if this is more romance or more horror - though the cute chibi-angel-thing suggests romantic-comedy...

Later: A more complicated story than I'd expected, and a chilling one if my suspicions are correct! It's set at a music academy in Tokyo in the late Meiji Era, a girls' school that main character Nanao has gone to despite parental disapproval. She's seeking the "Prince of Harmony," a beautiful youth and a virtuoso musician - and when she finds him, she's delighted that he seems to like her. But his motives are sinister, and while we learn that he's under a curse of his own - and is deserving of some sympathy for his troubled past - he definitely takes a dark turn with his treatment of Nanao. (I did appreciate the way he grumbles at how foolish she is for falling for him without knowing anything about him; this works to his advantage, but perhaps having it called out that way in the text will help prevent more naive readers from finding him a romantic hero {wry grin}.)

The cast of characters is large and looks to get larger as we meet more of the students and staff at the academy. (Whether I'll be able to tell them all apart isn't as clear.) To me the most interesting so far is the one-armed director who has fostered Takenomaru, the "prince", for his talent; he doesn't seem to be aware of Take's curse, and his own back story suggests more revelations to come.

An interesting twist: once we see the results of Take's gift to Nanao, and learn that he plans to do the same to others, it tickled me to see that one of the staff has noticed his behavior and called him out on it (the gift-giving, not the darker bits, though they're related). His solution: he'll just have to win the heart of the nun who confiscated his gift!

I'm intrigued enough to want to read more, but alas, it's a Tokyopop publication, and since they folded it's unlikely there will be more English volumes. But I might be able to find translations on line...

Released 1 mo ago (10/18/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Frekey's Dairy Freeze in Concord, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this charming Little Free Library outside the ice cream stand. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***