Popcorn Romance

by Tomoko Taniguchi | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingHI77wing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingHI77wing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2018
Boys and their bands,

turn music to memory
amongst sunflowers and love.

Journal Entry 2 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 16, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

These are one of those sugary sweet manga from the 70's with the eternal and impossible happy endings. :P

But you know what? Real life is rough and never seems to work out. So guess what? I like reading books that I know will turn out well no matter what. I have enough sad endings in real life. I get real tired of books that end badly or someone dies and leaves the other behind. Or 'that's just life' kind of crap. Who wants that really?

Books are for reaching to where you can't get to on your own. I can be miserable in my own life. I've long since had enough of miserable books. I have a real fondness for falling into these type now. I need the sunshine.

But now this book has been called into a trade. So off it goes! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 21, 2018
The Big Box of Trade Books arrived safely today; many thanks! This one looks very cute indeed - and sometimes that's just what's needed! (I enjoyed the author's short-story manga Aquarium.)

Later: This one was definitely very light and bubbly, with only some mild angst over the potentially-lethal illness suffered by younger brother (and androgynous Visual Kei singer). The brothers, both part of a music-idol's group, have to leave their glam-rock jobs and their high school to go live on grandfather's farm, for the Zenta's health. But can they be happy there? And what about the plans to turn local land into a golf course - will Grandpa sell out if the brothers don't want to stick around long-term? Oh, and will older brother Ryouta's girlfriend find a way to reach him now that he's so far away?

Lots of stuff going on in this lighthearted romantic comedy, with the very girly-looking Zenta taking the "Snow White" role - his singing attracts lots of woodland creatures, including adorable little ferrets, rabbits, and more. And apparently farm life does improve Zenta's health, to the point where he can do chores AND wander the hills singing! As for the evil-developer plot, that turns out rather benign too, and Ryouta and his girlfriend reach a happy agreement of their own. So - yeah, a very lightweight story, but quite enjoyable. [The bonus story is about a girl suffering self-conscious pain over her acne, refusing to believe that the handsome boy who befriends her could possibly see beyond the pimples. Classic things-to-worry-about-at-that-age stuff, with an upbeat ending.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (2/6/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this surprisingly warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Valentine release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes release challenge, for the embedded "corn" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Becky's Hugs release challenge, in memory of Becky Johns. ***