Nichijou, 1

by Keiichi Arawi | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1942993307 Global Overview for this book
Registered by HI77 of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by HI77 from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2018
A guy that manages

to make even aliens,
seem run of the mill.

Journal Entry 2 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This is one of those gag manga. They are definitely ones that can easily be really funny or really terrible.

The jokes in it were over the top. I think if I hadn't read so much manga and seen so much anime, I might have found this more humorous. But really, it just seemed like a repetition of so many gag types I've seen before and I didn't find all that funny.

This one is probably best for a younger audience.

But it was chosen in a trade. So off it goes to a new reader! ;)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 22, 2018
The Big Box of Trade Books arrived safely today; many thanks! I've been curious about this one for a while, due in part to the "why is there a deer in class" question. Will see how it compares to My Neighbor Seki, a classroom gag-manga with wonderful inventiveness.

Later: There are some cute bits here, but I admit I didn't warm to any of the many characters - not that one should expect depth-of-character in a manga like this! The appearance of the deer didn't go as I'd expected from the cover-art, but was amusing (and resulted in a prolonged, WWF-style battle between the deer and one of the faculty (I think)). Other bits include the hot-tempered girl who's easily frustrated and yells in page-filling fonts whenever this happens; the girl who is (possibly) a robot, (probably) at least partly cybernetic, and conflicted as to whether to be obvious or not. [When she's firing off the rocket-guns in her arms, that'd be the "obvious" bit - though it's never clear to me if the kids are really firing actual weapons or if it's meant as a mental "I'm so angry right now" thing.]

So... cute, and weird, and not sufficiently compelling that I'll seek out other volumes. But it's still good to have given it a try!

[This manga inspired a 2011 anime. There's an extensive TV Tropes page, too.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Lord Rd. in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 28, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (9/28/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Lord Rd. in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the robot-themed Little Free Library (a re-purposed newspaper box) because of the robot-girl character; hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***