Crimson Cross

by Sakae Maeda | Graphic Novels |
Registered by HI77 of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by HI77 from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2018
A man grown teeth,

but an appetite just as large
as before then.

Journal Entry 2 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This book has great art and a decent storyline. :)

I like how it has more going on with the Vampire than first meets the eye. There's actually so real interest in the Vampire's history and long life. He's not just an 'evil' character. Things aren't put into black and white but shades of gray.

I actually really enjoyed this one. But it's another that there isn't another volume for. Or, at least not yet, if ever. I'd love to read more if it's ever published. This one gets 2 thumbs up!

But now it's been chosen in a trade. So off it goes! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 22, 2018
The Big Box of Trade Books arrived safely today; many thanks! I liked the cover-art, and while the angsty-vampire bit has certainly been done a lot, I'm open to variations on the theme...

Later: OK, this didn't go the way I'd expected at all! And while I was frustrated that it seems to be a one-shot, with no actual resolution to the main conflict, that... was OK; as it's described here, the "repeat ad infinitum" aspect really is part of the story.

The tale unfolds in back-and-forth timestreams, opening after our van-Helsing-bloodline vampire-hunter has been turned by his nemesis. He gets rescued by a young woman who has hidden depths, and who I wish had been able to remain an ongoing character - she would have to stay in her forest, so she could have been an occasional refuge over the centuries. But no... her reasons for her sacrifice for Karl's sake seem shaky at best, especially as her fate leaves her forest creatures without her guidance and protection, and vengeful towards Karl, NOT the outcome I think she was going for. But I guess logic goes right out the door when dealing with beautiful, angsty, vampires-against-their-will! (This chapter includes an "eye scream" incident - what IS it with manga and eye-loss and magical eye-replacement? Other mythologies feature the sacrifice of an eye as symbolic, but the eye doesn't usually get replaced.)

Anyway: having revealed that Elliot the insanely-powerful vampire has turned Karl the vampire-hunter for his own amusement, we flash back to the time that it happened. I appreciated the emphasis on religious faith on Karl's side, though Elliot is so very powerful that even Karl's faith and power has little chance against him - especially when Karl neglects to take precautions against Elliot's use of other victims to get past Karl's defenses. It's classic vampire-lore, of course: vampire turns the friend/beloved/relative of the vampire-hunter, and later on the turned friend/etc. helps battle the vampire-hunter, who has to face the "kill my beloved to save them" question. It's handled well here, though it seems almost incidental; Elliot is amused, Karl is furious but impotent to do any real harm to Elliot, and his rampage of revenge continues to fizzle.

I liked the third arc best, in part because of the really heart-wrenching aspect: a young nun who'd been raised by scholarly vampire Henry from infancy, and had been taken in at the convent after Henry was staked, now wants to raise him - so that she can learn her true name before she's sold away from the convent as a rich man's mistress. (A convent that would do that seems to have issues of its own, but that's all background-story here.) Karl encounters her in mid-grave-opening, and tries to convince her that raising a vampire's a BAD idea, but as he's a vampire himself his credibility's iffy.

When Henry gets raised (surprise!), Karl tries to make a deal with him re learning Elliot's weakness, and the reader learns just what it is that plagues vampires: not surprising, actually, but not helpful to Karl either, which of course amuses the vampires immensely. It's all very nihilistic, and the bad guys seem very much in charge - and, given that "weakness", such as it is, even if Karl does manage to beat Elliot someday, Elliot would probably find it entertaining. Poor Karl, so single-minded and furious...

The artwork's very good, the vampires powerful and threatening and yet infuriatingly blase - and the hero apparently doomed to a very, very long quest for a vengeance he'll never achieve!

Released 10 mos ago (11/12/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this bright, chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***