The Gift of Julian of Norwich

by Karen Anita Manton | Religion & Spirituality |
ISBN: 1920721150 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 9/1/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 01, 2018
“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.”
― Julian of Norwich

This is a charming gift book with Illuminations of some of St. Julian of Norwich's most well-known "shewings." Her 14th Century collections of meditations and observations is said to be the first book written by a woman in English. Julian asked God for an experience of illness and nearness to death in order to understand life more fully. In the midst of illness, she had an incredible experience of divine love. Not much is known of her life but she is thought to have been an anchoress, a mystic enclosed in a Church setting and committed to a life of prayer.

"He is our clothing,
that for love wraps around us,
embraces us,
drapes around us for tender love,
that he may never leave us.
And so in his sight
I saw that he is everything that is good,
as to my understanding."
Page 118

Editor/translator Karen Manton does a creditable job of putting the work in context for the contemporary reader. Julian's world is far distant from our own, yet her "shewings" remain compelling. Illustrator Lynne Muir's calligraphy and illustration recall manuscripts of Dame Julian's day.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book is going out to a friend who enjoys geocaching and creative bookcrossing. This small format book fits with a theme for wish list book I'm sending.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
The box arrived today; thanks so much, for the wishlist book and for the bonus books as well! This book looks really lovely...

Later: I appreciated the thoughtful commentary as well as Julian's own writings, all enhanced by the beautiful illuminations. Really wonderful book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Prescott Park in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 28, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (10/28/2018 UTC) at Prescott Park in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench in Prescott Park near the historical Point of Graves burial ground; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***