Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

by Nahoko Uehashi | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2018
I found this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy. It's about a warrior-for-hire who finds herself saddled with the responsibility of protecting the kingdom's young prince, who's suspected of harboring a dangerous spirit and is being hunted by some of the best killers in the land...

I enjoyed reading the story, both for the strong and capable spear-woman Balsa, and for the way all parties in the story really do mean well, even when they're at odds with each other or are trying to use deadly force on innocents to preserve what they think is the greater good. Part of the fun of the story is seeing how the threads are (eventually) untangled. I also liked exploring this part-mundane, part-magical world.

I was a bit surprised to find that the anime - which follows the plot quite faithfully - also added a fair amount of material, most of which served to enhance the story, adding depth to the supporting characters and their relationships, and adding suspense to the plot in general. (There's even one key character change; Chagum's older brother in the anime is depicted quite differently than in the book. This isn't a major plot point, but I did prefer the anime version.)

I found the book an enjoyable fantasy adventure for younger readers, and I definitely recommend the anime!

[There's a TV Tropes page about the book and anime that may be of interest as well.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 30, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this very warm evening; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 TV Series release challenge. ***