Leaving Deep Water: Asian American Women at the Crossroads of Two Cultures

by Claire S. Chow | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by AlterEgoZoe of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 8/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Some of the stories were interesting.

Based on hundreds of intimate interviews, a family counselor explores the varied ways in which millions of Asian-American women have created a place for themselves in modern society, in a inspiring and moving multicultural study.

Journal Entry 2 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 23, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (2/23/2019 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Put in the feminism/girl power box.

When he looked up again Tas had gone. Rising to join the others, he caught sight of something small and abandoned on the floor. "Tas you forgot your pipe." He picked it up and then saw words carved into the wood he had not seen before. Find the music, find the magic.
"Did you carve this?"
Tas did not turn. "Yes," he said, reluctantly. "I have to leave it."
"But, Tas, why?"
Tas squared his shoulders as though firming some resolve. But still he did not turn. "Because the shepherd said that it could only be used once. Thats why I can't get the pipe to play that song-or any song. I've used the magic." He took a deep breath and went on. "And he said that once I found the magic I had the pass the pipe on." he paused and then he did turn, a scamp's humor in his long brown eyes. "It's going to be a long winter. I'm going to leave it here for someone else to find."
"Snowsong" by Nancy Varian Berberick

Found a book? Find the magic! Welcome to BookCrossing!! If you are already a member, "Hello!", if you have only just found this lovely site, welcome!

Congratulations on finding a released BookCrossing book! You can now register on the site, if you want to. It's free to register, but of course you can remain anon. It's up to you!

If you do decide to join, please add me as your referring member, AlterEgoZoe. Thanks!

Most of all, enjoy the book, and enjoy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Taken from the box.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Friday, August 02, 2019
This was an interesting collection of interviews and stories. I am not Asian, so I knew that my perspective of these stories is probably different than the storytellers, but many of them relate to conflicts that non-Asians may have experienced too. There is such a wide range of perspectives offered that major themes are still not universal, but two frequent threads really stood out to me.

One was the number of these stories that related to the Japanese internment camps, which are a dark piece of US history that I rarely see addressed. (Although with the recent media attention on the ICE's Trumpcamps, I am seeing more more mentions of this previous cruelty.) Many of the folks interviewed are survivors or children of people who survived the camps. Since 20 years have passed since this book was published, I found myself wondering if the camps are still such a source of trauma for the next generation, who may not have as ready access to firsthand accounts.

The other thread I often found myself contemplating was the struggle of recent immigrants to figure out what parts of their previous culture to try and save, and which to suppress in order to fit in with American expectations. I think this is a major issue for immigrants for many countries, although I wondered how today's globalization and technology advances have impacted this. For example, widespread internet access has changed a lot of our communication methods, and probably made it easier to keep in contact with relations who have moved abroad. (You still need a language in common, though!)

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Veterinary Care of Ithaca in Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, August 08, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (8/8/2019 UTC) at Veterinary Care of Ithaca in Ithaca, New York USA

Left in the magazine rack in exam room 2