State of Wonder

by Ann Patchett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LeighTM of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 8/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by LeighTM from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, August 25, 2018
Gripping, set in Amazonian jungle

Released 1 yr ago (8/25/2018 UTC) at -- Wild Released somewhere in Charleston in Charleston, South Carolina USA

This book and I started the journey in Palm Springs, CA, February 28, 2018. It has been lent to friends and is now ready to meet more dear readers.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, August 30, 2018
I love a novel that makes you think, feel, and learn something. This did. Will look for more by this author, and more Book Crossing books. I will put this back on the shelf in the library soon. I just want to re-read a passage or two.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, September 01, 2018
Found an Ann Patchett in our building library which I haven't read. And, it's registered on bookcrossing! Extra fun!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2018
Ann Patchett usually has a way of engaging my interest, and this book was no exception to that experience. While I wasn't entirely on board with some of the characters and motivations, I was interested in the whole scenario -- finding a wonder drug in the rain forest. But I really liked the sense of commitment various characters had to others, and those commitments were more the wonder than anything else, and got me thinking about those my heart and soul are committed to, so committed, that I wonder, if like Karen, I would trust that sense rather than words on a piece of paper saying one of them was lost to me.

I also remember now, an interview with the author, about a trip she made to the rainforest in what must have been preparation for this book. She said that three days in the rain forest, on a trip she took while gathering information, were three of the most incredible days of her life -- but that unfortunately, the trip was 10 days long. Gotta love humor and perspective.

I have a friend who might like this book, so will offer it to her. If she declines, I'll put it back where I found it. If not, then this book will get a little more travelling under its literary feet.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, September 09, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

I'll be mailing this off, with a few other books, to a friend/sister. The hope is to get this in the mail before we get whatever we're going to get weather-wise from Hurricane Florence.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

If you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us! I've been a BookCrosser since 2003 and have found books left by others, discovered new authors to read, watched my books travel all over the world, and discovered a delightful group of readers online through BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 7 by alrescate at Strafford, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
I'm a terrible friend and Bookcrosser! Sorry I didn't log an entry when I received this book!

This was an interesting story, with unexpected turns...I never felt very connected to the main character though.

Journal Entry 8 by alrescate at Nearly Famous Deli in Springfield, Missouri USA on Thursday, November 01, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/1/2018 UTC) at Nearly Famous Deli in Springfield, Missouri USA