Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions

by Dan Ariely | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by LNicoll on 8/19/2018
Journal Entry 1 by LNicoll on Sunday, August 19, 2018
When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?

Journal Entry 2 by LNicoll at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 19, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (8/21/2018 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To be released at York bookcrossing at the Brigantes.

Journal Entry 3 by henrice at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Sounds fascinating

Journal Entry 4 by henrice at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 23, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (9/25/2018 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Great read lots of interesting tests done by author to show how irrational we human beings are. Bit dated in places and it too much focussed on humans as consumers but nevertheless there is much to recognise here

Journal Entry 5 by davidbreslin101 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Picked up at the York Bookcrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by davidbreslin101 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
This piece of science writing is both entertaining and argues its case well. A fascinating account of how actual human decision-making differs from the ideal of rational economic agents, based on the author's own research. (I appreciate the fact that he lists all his collaborators in the back of the book!) Resists the the urge to take cheap shots at "how stupid those people are;" instead calls for economics and governance that takes into account the behavior of real people. I learned a lot from this.

Released 3 mos ago (12/18/2018 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Releasing tonight at the York Bookcrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 8 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Picked up at the York BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by LouiseB79 at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 31, 2018
Educational but readable, this is a good examination of the way the more irrational aspects of human behaviour can be exploited for good or for bad and, by extension, how to recognise when you're being manipulated by a clever piece of marketing. I was especially fascinated by the section on how honest (or not) we are when money is involved - most people would think nothing of taking a pen from the work stationery cupboard, but would balk at taking 10p from petty cash and using it to buy an identical pen. It's surprising how ethics and economics have so much crossover.

Released 2 wks ago (2/26/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at the York BookCrossing meetup.