The Last Flight of The Flamingo

by Mia Couto | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingArvoreswing of Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on 8/19/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingArvoreswing from Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Sunday, August 19, 2018
To the winner of "Authors from unusual countries - August 2018", set by J4Shaw.

SO glad to send this book to the winner. I hope she will enjoy it.
Warm greetings.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, September 15, 2018
Thank you so much Arvores - this looks good :)
For all I lived for 40 years so close to Mozambique, I never did get to go there - such a pity :(

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, February 08, 2019
From the back:
"'In Tizangara, the only facts are the supernatural ones... To put it crudely and rudely, here's what happened: a severed penis was found right there on the trunk road just outside Tizangara. A large organ on the loose. Folk turned up from all around.' So the translator of Tizangara begins his tale. But more than folk turn up: carloads of foreign investigators and even a UN official, the Italian Massimo Risi, sweep into the small Mozambican town. What a minefield they have come to investigate!
This witty, playful, yet incisive novel provides a subtle look at emergent nationhood as it wrestles with the consequences of colonialism."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say I found this little book quite difficult to follow. Maybe "Magical Realism" is not for me. Amusing in parts and strange in others, but interesting overall.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 03, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (3/3/2019 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to the winner of the Authors from Unusual Countries sweep - congratulations and enjoy the book shower :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingbook-a-neerwing at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 02, 2019
The blurb really caught my attention. Thank you for sending this.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbook-a-neerwing at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, July 22, 2019
A little bit of magical realism combined with a poetic writing style, I liked this book even though it felt weird sometimes.