No. More. Plastic.: What you can do to make a difference - the #2minutesolution

Registered by wingPoodlesisterwing of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPoodlesisterwing from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 18, 2018
Bought in Ink@84 Bookshop Islington.

The author is a writer, surfer and beach lover who cofounded the Beach Clean Network in 2009 and started the #2minutebeachclean hashtag in 2013 after North Atlantic storms left UK beaches littered with plastic rubbish. It’s a simple, effective idea - pick up beach litter for 2 minutes bag it, tag it, bin it - and the hashtag has been used many thousands of times around the world. This book continues the clean up beyond our beaches with a #2minutesolution for everyone.

Bookring is here https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/554854

Bookgirrl - read
earthcaroleanne - read and travelling
Nataliec7
????
I HAVE A WORD DOC WITH THE 30 THINGS YOU CAN DO CHECKLIST which is at the back of the book. PM Poodlesister with your email address to get a copy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 25, 2018
I love the fact this is short, easy to read and gives me ideas to cut down on my plastic use. I already have a reusable water bottle, carry a fork in my bag, have a reusable Keepcup for takeaway coffee and carry reusable bags. I try hard to reduce the waste I produce but this book has given me new ideas and inspired me to try harder.

I’m going to note down some of the hints, tips and websites before I start the book’s journey round the world as it will be a bookring.

This is written for a UK audience but I hope it will still be useful to those readers outside the U.K.

I've started picking up litter to recycle mainly plastic bottles and aluminium drinks cans. I am going to work out what else I can do from the list.

ETA I’ve bought a shampoo bar to try, I’m buying chocolate wrapped in foil and paper, I’m going to dig out my old fountain pen to use.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Book ring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, September 02, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at Book ring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

En route to bookfrogster.

Journal Entry 4 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 05, 2018
So this arrived safely in Edinburgh and was waiting for me when I got home from work on Monday. Thank you for the Keep Cup, chocolate (in plastic free wrapping!) and the wishlist book. Feeling very spoiled.
This is a small book and a quick read. I absolutely love books like this with quick and simple ideas. I'm a great believer that although we can't all do everything we can all do at least one thing, and it does make a difference. I read it on Monday night and then spent a day mulling over what my pledges could be. Like Poodlesister there are already a number of things on the list I already do, but it was good to be prompted to think about what else I could do. My new actions are
- to stop using disposable plastic biros and stick to my refillable ballpoints where I need an ink pen, but to use an old school pencil where I don't need to use ink.
- to no longer buy plastic wrapped packs of disposable tissues but instead to carry a wee stash of tissues from a larger cardboard box . Incidentally both Tescos own brand and the Co-op own brand tissues no longer have plastic under the tear out bit in their boxes of tissues. I'll also no longer buy the twin packs which are held together by plastic.
- to only buy chocolate wrapped in paper and foil.
The last one is probably going to be the most difficult but these are three things that I should be able to stick to.
Thanks very much for sharing this book with me. I've PMed daisy_may for an address so it should be travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (9/7/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to daisy_may as the next person on the list. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by daisy_may at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 10, 2018
This arrived today - thank you bookfrogster for sending it and for the (plastic free) chocolate. Will try to read it quickly so I can send it off to the next person in the ring.

Journal Entry 7 by daisy_may at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2018
This was a quick read, but informative. Some I was already familiar with and trying to implement, although I don't always put in as much effort as I should, so this was a good encouragement. The section on clothes was mostly new to me and I will definitely consider what materials are used when buying clothes in future. As well as this, I have been trying to use mostly loose leaf tea rather than teabags and to search for products which have come in less packaging.

There is always more to be done and I hope this book will give people ideas for small changes they can implement which do make a difference.

Journal Entry 8 by daisy_may at -- Controlled Release, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 23, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (9/21/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Sent on to Fifna who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 29, 2018
Arrived safely. Thanks for sending, daisy_may, and for the yummy, plastic-free chocolate !

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 05, 2018
This is a quick read with useful tips on how to use less plastic. I liked the fact that it doesn't preach, and acknowledges that it's often difficult to avoid plastic. My most recent thing has been to find cotton buds made with wood target than plastic. And my youngest son and I go litter picking in the playground - every little helps!
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, November 05, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (11/5/2018 UTC) at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece

On its way to Delphi_Reader!

Journal Entry 12 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, November 13, 2018
No. More.Plastic. arrived in Delphi yesterday. Thank you everyone for sending and thank you Fifna for the organic milk chocolate (it didn't last long!)

Journal Entry 13 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, November 14, 2018
This book provides some interesting information and a couple of good tips on how to avoid using plastic or how to dispose it etc, but I found some parts a bit repetitive while I think some (most?) of the advice is either too well-known by now, either/or not really practical for most people. I'm not talking about conveniance but about practicality. Realistically how many offices can use fountain pens and ink bottles and how long can busy people spend for saving with a safery razor? Still, if one can follow even one third of the advice provided, the world would be a much less plastic-fiiled place.

Something I can't ommit to mention is that while I love the mission of reducing plastic, there are always other environmental concerns to take into consideration. Replacing the plastic wrap of a sandwich using aluminium foil wrap or paper wrap instead, seems a better option, but for example how easy is aluminium's recycle and how many trees might have had to be cut to produce the paper wraps and what the carbon footprint of those items is and so on... Never an easy equation!

Last but not least, while I find this book well-intended, it was too UK-centric with UK-relevant stats, organisations and people's habits mentioned that might or might not suit readers coming from elsewhere. And I find this book too social-media centric too at parts. I understand the need to spread the message and that some people might feel more attached to a project while using related apps, but not everyone operates that way. Really, I often pick up stray rubbish for more than two minutes and I don't upload a picture tagging it on whatever hashtag or scanning it on whatever app and I feel I still do good.

As a conclusion, this book has an important message to share and while I didn't find it as original or earth-shakening as others, I found it very decent.

Journal Entry 14 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 19, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (11/19/2018 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Thanks once again for sharing, the book is now off to Sweden!
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Thursday, November 22, 2018
Thanks for sending this book, Delphi_Reader. And thanks for the card and BC stickers

I’ll be keeping the stamps for the stamps sweeps https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/10/557048

Journal Entry 16 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, November 25, 2018
A quick read with tips on how to reduce plastic.

Will send to the next person on the bookray soon. Most things in the book I already do (I keep a water bottle with me, use washable wipes & diapers for the kids, try to buy products with less packaging if possible...). One thing I never thought about is pens. So I think i will buy a nice fountain pen and will try not to lose it or get it stolen at work.

Thanks for sharing this Poodlesister.

Journal Entry 17 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (11/28/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Sending this book off to its next reader.

I always try to post my controlled releases with real stamps. If you are not a collector yourself, you might want to check out this post on the forum about a stamps sweeps that I’m currently organising or this one about Bookcrossers who collect stamps. A lot of Bookcrossers collect stamps for charity, so it’s nice to find them a good home!

Journal Entry 18 by JosefinJ at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden on Thursday, December 06, 2018
Will read it asap.!

Journal Entry 19 by JosefinJ at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden on Sunday, December 09, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/10/2018 UTC) at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden

Away to Portugal! :-)

Journal Entry 20 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Friday, December 21, 2018
The book is with me now. It came together with a beautiful bookmark (I love owls!), a bookplate really appropriate for this subject and a nice note :-)
Oh, and there were beautiful stamps on the envelope, too.
Thank you so much for sharing. I'll read it after Christmas season.

Journal Entry 21 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Thursday, January 31, 2019
I thought I knew it all, didn't I? And yet, there's still so much to learn about it.
I already do a lot to reduce my "stain" of plastic in this Planet. But there's still a lot more to improve.
It's a difficult situation, because the reality on this small island is so different. For example, there's only ONE supermarket in the whole island, and no alternative. And only one herbalist, one pharmacy, one everything, where almost all the packages are plastic. There are no street markets (you can only see a few stands in summer, where local "farmers" sell a few vegetables - no more than 6 or 7 are produced here).
But this can also be an advantage. Because the place is so small, you can spread the word and ideas more quickly. I just wish people were more eager to learn and change.
Plus, all the water we get from the tap over here comes from the ocean. So, there are lots of microplastics already in our body, for sure. Maybe people will like to change after they realize it. In addition to that, this small island is a candidate to be the first "Fossil Free" island in the world. But, we won't get there with so much plastic, will we? Maybe all these circumstances will be an eye opener for the local people and Government. I wish they will.
I'll do my best to spread the word and the example. And I even consider to suggest the translation of the book to Portuguese publishers. I think it should be read in schools.
Thank you so much for the opportunity. The book will be sent to azuki ASAP.

ETA - the book was sent to azuki last Friday (the 1st of February).

Journal Entry 22 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, February 11, 2019
Thank you for the book and the lovely postcard. Always love getting books from you as Portugal is one of the places my husband and I enjoy visiting, and I love Madeira wine.

I look forward to reading this book. I'm afraid our society has a "can't live with it, can't live without it" relationship with plastic. I hate seeing all the plastic disposables, but in some cases it's definitely more hygienic. But we definitely can be more conscious about whether we need all that, and get into the habit of bringing our own utensils and cups around.

ETA: April 25 - When I met Poodlesister by chance at the Frankfurt train station, I was rather eager to offload a book... as I was toting the a large and a small luggages of books that clocked in right at the airline's weight limit...

Now I am about to make a journal recording my thoughts after reading the book, I found out that there are 2 journalers after me already... So I just have to add this to my original entry.

What an interesting little book! Never heard of the 2 min clean up but that's a brilliant idea. Maybe we BookCrossers can agree on a time and we all do a 2 min cleanup wherever we are? Like the BC readathon? Also love how restaurants can offer free water refill for people. I hope this idea can get more popular! I simply hate water bottles!

Before reading the book, I thought I know a lot about recycling. I go to length to avoid bottled water, disposable cutlery and plastic bags. I use shampoo bars from Lush. But this book makes me realize there are a lot more we can do.

For example, I never thought much about synthetic clothing materials. I prefer cotton, but most clothes, especially sportswear, nowadays are made with synthetic materials that keep you dry, keep you warm, more flexible, more stretchable... And indeed where do they go after we are done with them?

Just a few more things to add to what the author said:

Pencil!! - I think only bankers and CEOs still use fountain pen! But for the common folks, good old pencil works well in a lot of usage in office or school, and they can be made with recycled newspaper and other material instead of virgin trees.

Make your own!! - I'm started making yogurt at home about a year ago and it's really easy. You skip all the plastic, not to mention the sugar, guar gum and other additives. Kombucha? Soap? Jam? Herbs? Have fun, and save on packaging and shipping.

Journal Entry 23 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, April 24, 2019
Azuki and I met by chance at Frankfurt Airport station en route to the Mainz BC Convention and she, macaufan and I travelled into Mainz together. During the journey she gave me the book back to complete the ring. I love the fact it has arrived with a postcard from Arvores, three bookmarks including the one I put in it originally and a blank international BC bookplate. Azuki gave it to me before she got a chance to journal but said she found the book interesting. I was going to add it to the London / UK raffle prize (which has some eco friendly items) but Bookgirrl has expressed an interest so I will be giving it to her.

Journal Entry 24 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (4/25/2019 UTC) at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Giving to Bookgirrl (to accompany her new reusable Keepcup)

Journal Entry 25 by wingBookgirrlwing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, April 25, 2019
What a terrific book. The design, length of chapters, language makes it so readable, which is great, because everyone - avid reader or not, should read this. Even though I consider myself fairly green (I ran a recycling day at my high school in 1972 and nag my husband mercilessly when he comes home with plastic grocery bags - since we have a gazillion cloth bags hanging around the house), I learned you could wash your hair with a shampoo bar, and when I get home from Mainz, I will be buying one. I also learned about the "guppy bag" - and will check those out too. Thanks for sharing this book with me, Poodlesister. I know someone wants it after me, and I will be finishing it tonight. (And thank you also for the keepcup! I love it.)

Journal Entry 26 by earthcaroleanne at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, April 26, 2019
With me now.

Journal Entry 27 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 29, 2019
Love this book, not only does it provide some hard hitting and sometime shocking facts but also provides solutions and ways to make a difference. I already recycle a lot but it still taught me facts I didn't know. This is an accessible and encouraging guide to making simple life changes - which can help change the world we live in! Plastic is a global problem - recycling often leads to landfill because of a multitude of reasons therefore the answer is to reduce our waste. So much plastic ends up in the food chain because marine life eat micro plastic which riddles the oceans.

Think I might buy my own copy so I can write in it and maybe a copy for the office. They are quite good a recycling and I have introduced crisp packet recycling since starting there but they need to get better.

Journal Entry 28 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 02, 2019
'Just bought 3 more copies of this book....

Journal Entry 29 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 04, 2019
Sorry, need to do an additional JE because I can't do release notes after bookgirrl's extra JE.

Journal Entry 30 by earthcaroleanne at Vale of Glamorgan, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 04, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (5/4/2019 UTC) at Vale of Glamorgan, Wales United Kingdom

Sending on in the bookring.

Journal Entry 31 by wingNataliec7wing at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
Excited to read this. Received this morning and I've already started it.

Journal Entry 32 by wingNataliec7wing at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
I'm giving this little book 5 stars. I'm very conscious of the plastic that's used in my household and I'm glad that this gives me a few more ideas on how to reduce it. I already do a few of the alternatives for eg:
1) Buying loo roll, kitchen roll and tissues from Who Gives A Crap
2)Use a keepcup
3)Use alternative feminine hygiene products
to name a few.

I think this is also great for people who are just beginning to realise the impact of plastics also without being too over bearing.

A really great book.