My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon

by Bart Yasso, Kathleen Parrish | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by SKingList of New York City, New York USA on 8/12/2018
Journal Entry 1 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Sunday, August 12, 2018
My review from Goodreads:
"In his role as Chief Running Ambassador for Runners' World, Yasso often gave slideshows prior to the runs he attended. He was frequently asked about his book, which he didn't have. This is the book that came out of those slideshows. It's about a decade old and some of these stories came up in Runner's World Race Everything as well as in his retirement tour, but it was still a really good read. He's an amazing storyteller. My favorites: the Colorado burro race, the only sport native to Colorado; his cross country bike rides, his Reunion Island and Antarctica races. Even if you're not a runner, this is an excellent travel read as he makes the Lehigh Valley seem as interesting as Kilimanjaro. I love his decision to make the miles he had left count. "

Purchased from BookCloseouts. Registering to share it with my partner in running/traveling book crime, Liz

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 23, 2018
Kindly passed to me by SKingList on her visit to me in Birmingham. Not sure how I've not read this before, but here it is now.

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 08, 2018
The autobiography and race reports (for some races, though: an Antarctic marathon among others!) and training plans in the back (including an interesting 10-day based plan: what??) from the Runner’s World Ambassador and massive distance runner who invented the Yasso 800 (basically, the average of 10x800m repeats will echo your marathon time: run 800m in an average of 04:25 and your marathon time will magically be 04:25:00).

I liked his story of his own redemption from a hard-living lifestyle, especially as he later teaches a group of prisoners to run (although he doesn’t disclose his history to them), and the humility he shows in discussing his Lyme Disease and his decision to make every run he has left count, basically by going out in perfect conditions, doing races and pacing that he really cares about, but limiting general runs to a few miles. This must be an awful trial for someone who’s been up there doing Death Valley runs and whatnot. I like his emphasis on running as a form of therapy in his recovery, and his depth of experience means he can tell tales of running in the Boston Marathon of 1982, 50 minutes behind the epic Salazar/Beardsley battle.

But I wasn’t so personally sure about his early exhortation to “Run on the edge of death” and “Run until you puke” – not my style at all and I found that off-putting (I do realise that one has to try hard and that I don’t like pushing myself, but I don’t think this emphasis is particularly helpful), and his drip feed of attitudes to women being based around them being “cute” or not is wearing. To be fair, he is respectful of those women he lists in his running heroes section, and he’s friends with Amby Burfoot, whose own weird attitudes I detailed in my review of his book. But when, talking about his wedding, he inexplicably feels he has to mention that they’re married by a mayor, who happens to be a woman (“That makes her a mayoress” (it doesn’t)), it does grate a bit.

One other thing I did like to round up this slightly ambivalent review: under the newbie’s marathon training plan, he mentions that next time, “You can … improve either your time – or how easy your time is” (p. 230) and he does mention that the effort to do a 6-hour marathon is just as important as faster efforts, so that’s encouraging.

Journal Entry 4 by LyzzyBee at Moseley All Services Club in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 08, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/8/2018 UTC) at Moseley All Services Club in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Taking to Running Club Awards night for the swaps table.

Welcome to BookCrossing. Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book, you may do this anonymously or you may join. There is no charge to join this site, if you are like myself from time to time you may donate to help support Bookcrossing; but it is not mandatory.

If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by LyzzyBee. Membership is free and your name and e-mail address is not shared with anyone else and it will never be sold. BookCrossing is a world-wide group of people who love books and wish to share them with others.

Please enjoy this book, if it is not your genre pass it along to someone else or wild release it. In this way we promote literacy and at the same time we can watch our book continue on its journey.

I look forward to hearing what you thought of the book when you've read it, and to seeing what happens to it next!