The Witch of Willow Hall

by Hester Fox | Other | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 8/14/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Two centuries after the Salem witch trials, there’s still one witch left in Massachusetts. But she doesn’t even know it.

"Take this as a warning: if you are not able or willing to control yourself, it will not only be you who suffers the consequences but those around you, as well."

New Oldbury, 1821

In the wake of a scandal, the Montrose family and their three daughters—Catherine, Lydia, and Emeline—flee Boston for their new country home, Willow Hall. The estate seems sleepy and idyllic. But a subtle menace creeps into the atmosphere, remnants of a dark history that call to Lydia, and to the youngest, Emeline.

All three daughters will be irrevocably changed by what follows, but none more than Lydia, who must draw on a power she never knew she possessed if she wants to protect those she loves. For Willow Hall’s secrets will rise, in the end…

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 21, 2019
I've been guilty of judging a book by its cover here as I wasn't expecting this to be such a well written & atmospheric tale. Rather than being supernatural fluff - & hurrah that it wasn't - this has all the elements required of a Gothic romance: scandalous behaviour, misunderstandings, & of course there's a few ghosts thrown in for good measure (I did like the fact that the ghosts showed signs of decay rather than being simply the translucent floaty kind!).

It's a well written novel & does really well at evoking the uneasy atmosphere in Willow Hall & in particular the tension between Lydia & Catherine (what a cow she could be!)
But for a book with the tagline, "Years after the Salem witch trials one witch remains. She just doesn't know it....yet" it was a bit lacking in witchiness! But that's just my thoughts as I would have expected & certainly liked a bit more about the history of witchcraft in Lydia's family at least. That little gripe aside I still found it a fascinating read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Debut Novels bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 01, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/1/2019 UTC) at Debut Novels bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to my "Debut Novels" Bookbox ready for round 2

Released as part of the NOVEMBER "THE" CHALLENGE (#7)