Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I

by Hazel Gaynor, Heather Webb | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 8/7/2018
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 07, 2018
New York Times bestselling author Hazel Gaynor has joined with Heather Webb to create this unforgettably romantic novel of the Great War.
August 1914. England is at war. As Evie Elliott watches her brother, Will, and his best friend, Thomas Harding, depart for the front, she believes—as everyone does—that it will be over by Christmas, when the trio plan to celebrate the holiday among the romantic cafes of Paris.
But as history tells us, it all happened so differently…
Evie and Thomas experience a very different war. Frustrated by life as a privileged young lady, Evie longs to play a greater part in the conflict—but how?—and as Thomas struggles with the unimaginable realities of war he also faces personal battles back home where War Office regulations on press reporting cause trouble at his father’s newspaper business. Through their letters, Evie and Thomas share their greatest hopes and fears—and grow ever fonder from afar. Can love flourish amid the horror of the First World War, or will fate intervene?
Christmas 1968. With failing health, Thomas returns to Paris—a cherished packet of letters in hand—determined to lay to rest the ghosts of his past. But one final letter is waiting for him…
Make sure you read the "About the Book" section at the back as it describes how 2 authors co-wrote this wonderful book. You read letters that are sent back and forth between two friends, two siblings, two friends, etc. that describe what is happening in their lives during World War I. It reminded me of Letters From Skye - kept me reading and totally engrossed.

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/11/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the August meetup at Cravings to pass on to the next reader. This is a new book to Book Crossing and it kind of fits the theme for August as it is about letters written during the war years - 1914 - 1918!!

Journal Entry 3 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Just picked up at last meeting. Haven't read it yet

Journal Entry 4 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 12, 2018
I loved how this book was written in the form of letters going back and forth between the people involved from soldiers, to civilians. Sometimes the letters would not get to their destinations on time or ever, and subsequently the ending of this story was sad to me.

Journal Entry 5 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2018
to be read

Journal Entry 6 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 10, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (1/11/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

The story is told through letters between and among all the characters in the novel. Set in World War I times, it tells the thoughts and feelings of those fighting the war and those who are waiting at home for them. Its hard to tell which would be worse - the fighting or the waiting.

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2019
Picked up at a recent bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the December meeting!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 9 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2019
Caught at local meetup.