First Light (Penguin World War II Collection)

by Geoffrey Wellum | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 8/5/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 05, 2018
Two months before the outbreak of the Second World War, seventeen-year-old Geoffrey Wellum becomes a fighter pilot with the RAF . . .

Desperate to get in the air, he makes it through basic training to become the youngest Spitfire pilot in the prestigious 92 Squadron. Thrust into combat almost immediately, Wellum finds himself flying several sorties a day, caught up in terrifying dogfights with German Me 109s.

Over the coming months he and his fellow pilots play a crucial role in the Battle of Britain. But of the friends that take to the air alongside Wellum, many never return.

Geoffrey Wellum has been popping up on various TV programmes in the last few years especially in the lead up to the 100th anniversary of the RAF and as people realize that his generation of eye-witnesses is dwindling. So his book has been on my wishlist for a couple of years. I snapped it up when I saw it on display at Waterstones in June. Sadly, he died in July.

Of course, he's always been interviewed for being the youngest Spitfire pilot in the Battle of Britain, but I didn't know that he went on to defend Malta later in the War. I'm also fascinated by the Malta story, having read The Kapillan of Malta, Onward to Malta and The Last Convoy, which are all powerful stories too.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at Hôtel de la Poste in Bouillon, Luxembourg / Luxemburg Belgium on Saturday, August 11, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (8/11/2018 UTC) at Hôtel de la Poste in Bouillon, Luxembourg / Luxemburg Belgium

Released in Bouillon during the Medieval Weekend