Gigi and The Cat (Isis Large Print Fiction)

by Colette | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/4/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 04, 2018
I got this ex-library large-print hardcover from Better World Books. It contains the short story that inspired the 1958 musical film, as well as "The Cat," a tale about a woman whose husband is more devoted to his cat than to her...

When I first read "Gigi", I found to my great surprise, that the movie was relatively faithful to the story; oh, sure, its musical numbers (and the added whimsy from Maurice Chevalier's character) lightened the tone a bit, but the film revealed the true nature of Gigi's family heritage just as the story did. Deftly told, a lovely mix of cynicism and emotion - I liked it!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the film and the story, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 2 yrs ago (8/5/2018 UTC) at Chelmsford (see notes for details) in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench at the back of the Chelmsford Public Garden on North Road; hope someone enjoys it!

Funny story: I'd released a copy of The Forest, a rather grim homesteaders-at-risk story, in the same garden, though on a bench near the sidewalk where I hoped it would be easily seen. It was caught, but not for almost two weeks, during which it got rain-soaked. The finder was good enough to dry it out and give it a read, but didn't care for it at all; still, the finder re-released it there - in a plastic bag this time - on July 30, so it's been sitting there for a week. So I figure that bench is unlucky, and I'm leaving this book on a different one {wry grin}.

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***