corner corner The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel
by Taylor Jenkins Reid | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on 8/3/2018

status (set by emmejo): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 03, 2018

Reading now.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 04, 2018

Wow! This was a riveting page-turner that completely absorbed me in the story. I loved reading about Evelyn Hugo and her complex, surprising life. She was a complicated character and Taylor Jenkins Reid brought her to life utterly and completely. Evelyn seemed like a real person to me, albeit one about whom I was not entirely sure how I felt. A fascinating exploration of the intricate nature of what it means to be human and the lengths to which we will go to protect those we love. Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 16, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/16/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to emmejo as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, August 20, 2018

This arrived today, thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 07, 2018

I agree with ReallyBookish; I couldn't put this down! The characters and their very complicated relationships were compelling. Reid's talent for voice shone here, making the two main characters' storytelling styles distinct.

Plus, how many Hollywood retrospective stories star two women of color, one of whom is bisexual? Just about none, in my experience. It was great to read a novel that tackled some of the more complicated political/social aspects of the time, and the ways those were handled impressed me. Evelyn's internal (and sometimes external) war between her white-passing, sexpot public image and her true self made for excellent tension, but also allowed the reader to explore some of their own biases and assumptions as Evelyn articulated hers.