The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel

by Taylor Jenkins Reid | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1501161938 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Ambler, Pennsylvania USA on 8/3/2018
Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR | Amazon IT
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Ambler, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 03, 2018
Reading now.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 04, 2018
Wow! This was a riveting page-turner that completely absorbed me in the story. I loved reading about Evelyn Hugo and her complex, surprising life. She was a complicated character and Taylor Jenkins Reid brought her to life utterly and completely. Evelyn seemed like a real person to me, albeit one about whom I was not entirely sure how I felt. A fascinating exploration of the intricate nature of what it means to be human and the lengths to which we will go to protect those we love. Recommended!

Released 3 mos ago (8/16/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to emmejo as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, August 20, 2018
This arrived today, thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 07, 2018
I agree with ReallyBookish; I couldn't put this down! The characters and their very complicated relationships were compelling. Reid's talent for voice shone here, making the two main characters' storytelling styles distinct.

Plus, how many Hollywood retrospective stories star two women of color, one of whom is bisexual? Just about none, in my experience. It was great to read a novel that tackled some of the more complicated political/social aspects of the time, and the ways those were handled impressed me. Evelyn's internal (and sometimes external) war between her white-passing, sexpot public image and her true self made for excellent tension, but also allowed the reader to explore some of their own biases and assumptions as Evelyn articulated hers.

Journal Entry 6 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, October 12, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (10/11/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Sent out as a RABCK

Journal Entry 7 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018
Thank you for sending this RABCK box of books! What I don't keep to read will be spread around to LFLs, as RABCKs, or to one of the two book fairs the BCinDC group gives away books at in Maryland.

I'd seen this book pop up from time-to-time and thought it sounded intriguing! Now I have the chance to give it a try! Thanks!