War of the Worlds, The

Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 8/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

From the Friends of the Library

A history of the classic alien invasion story, including the complete texts of the radio play and the novel. Unfortunately a previous reader kept the CD that originally came with the book, but the Orson Welles radio broadcast is available on YouTube.

I had no idea that so many people followed in Orson Welles's footsteps! The history of the multiple panics caused by retellings of the story was quite amazing.

Includes photos and the illustrations published with the novel in 1897 and 1906.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Foreword by Ray Bradbury
History by Brian Holmsten & Alex Lubertozzi
Radio drama by Howard Koch
Novel by H.G. Wells
Afterword by Ben Bova

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Had to include this quote from Loose Talk: The Book of Quotes, compiled by Linda Botts:

"As one of the generation of Americans who had the pants scared off them by that Orson Welles invasion from Mars broadcast in 1938, I'm glad to hear that there isn't any life on Mars."
~Lyndon Johnson, after Mariner IV photos indicated Mars is a dead planet

Also, I've decorated the book with an adorable label by merbel, found on deviantart.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/14/2018 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!Once I get the next person's address, this book will be headed out in MaryZee's Biographies of Things - hope it finds a new reader!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018
Ooh, the label is adorable! And this book, which came home in the Biographies of Things book box, sounds really intriguing. The movie of this story made in the 1970s terrified me every single one of the 10 times my sister forced me to sit through it on our kids' 10 movie passes for the summer deal. I have since read the book, which I found much easier to handle -- of course the 20 year time difference might have helped.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, May 10, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (5/10/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is on the road again as part of the Biographies of Things book box started by MaryZee and continued in her memory.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
I'm claiming this from the Biographies of Things bookbox. I've enjoyed Wells' novel and several film adaptations (though few of them are faithful to the novel - would be nice to see a really accurate version someday, though it'd be pretty grisly!), and this book about the novel and its effects on popular culture looks like fun!

Later: The book includes the script of Welles' radio play AND the text of the novel, plus lots of interesting bonus material. Enjoyable read!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 01, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (9/1/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library beside City Hall; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***