Workhouse: A Victorian Girl's Diary, 1871 (My Story)

by Pamela Oldfield | History |
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 7/31/2018
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2018
Today I found a small stack of books that I packed away at the end of 2016, and this book was among them. In 2017, I focused my reading and bookcrossing activity on Canadian literature, so when the year changed over from 2016 to 2017 I packed away some unregistered (non-Canadian) books I had with notes tucked inside for future reference. Now that my Can-Lit project is over, I am registering them so they can be passed on.

I bought this book at a local charity shop in 2016 and I read it at that time. I thought it was an interesting look at an aspect of history which I'm sure was very well-intentioned but led to a lot of pain, sadness, and difficulty in practice.

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Wellington County Museum in Fergus, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 21, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (5/21/2022 UTC) at Wellington County Museum in Fergus, Ontario Canada

Released today at the former Wellington County House of Industry, which is the oldest surviving example of a government-supported poorhouse in Canada. We didn't visit the museum because we are still not doing indoor things, but as the storm knocked out power and cell service for several hours in our area, we decided (once the storm had passed and things seemed safe) to go for a little drive somewhere. We checked out the grounds of the Wellington County Museum and Archives a bit, and we left this book in a little nook by the door.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 27, 2022
Lovely little book. Wish it was a true story.