Murder in the Mystery Suite

by Ellery Adams | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 7/29/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018

I like hotels. I like books set in hotels, generally – especially book-themed hotels. Having briefly considered, during my college years, going into Hotel Administration, I like to read about the joys and sorrows of running one. So I picked up this book with great anticipation.

Somehow it didn’t totally grab me, though. It wasn’t bad, and I will certainly read the next installment if it comes my way (don’t like to judge an entire series on just one book – so many things can influence one’s enjoyment of a particular book at a particular time). For some of the book, especially at the beginning, it felt like I was hallucinating. I’ve never actually done that – hallucinated – but I remember thinking this is what it would be like. Difficult to explain! Guess I just found some elements too fantastical. But I do credit the author’s imagination!

Hard to write a review first thing in the morning before the coffee kicks in, so will stop the rambling here.

Amazon:
WHO WOULD RESORT TO MURDER?

Tucked away in the rolling hills of rural western Virginia is the storybook resort of Storyton Hall, catering to book lovers who want to get away from it all. To increase her number of bookings, resort manager Jane Steward has decided to host a Murder and Mayhem week so that fans of the mystery genre can gather together for some role-playing and fantasy crime solving.

But when the winner of the scavenger hunt, Felix Hampden, is found dead in the Mystery Suite, and the valuable book he won as his prize is missing, Jane realizes one of her guests is an actual murderer. Amid a resort full of fake detectives, Jane is bound and determined to find a real-life killer. There’s no room for error as Jane tries to unlock this mystery before another vacancy opens up…

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (7/29/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Second copy obtained from PaperBackSwap after the first one had pages falling out. Now this one is starting to have binding problems. "They don't make 'em like they used to." Anyway, I'm glad to see it is still on your wishlist, Gory.
:-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018
Thanks so much for the book! I enjoyed Murder in the Secret Garden, despite some truly improbable plot points, and wanted to go back and read the first book in the series. (Having participated in some wonderful mystery weekends I expect I'll feel envious of the book's characters, at least up to the point where somebody gets killed...)

Later: I really enjoyed this one, not least because of all the lavish details of the book-themed resort, the luscious meals, and the delightful "come as your favorite fictional detective" themed weekend. I also found the introduction of the whole secret-guardian-of-very-special-books bit to be effective, if unlikely; wouldn't it be nice if such a thing really existed? And I had to laugh at some of the revelations, such as the special "interrogation room" which is described to Jane as being deliberately designed to suggest Very Nasty Things Indeed as a psychological ploy: "Feng shui meets the Spanish Inquisition". (Since these are the good guys, they seldom use it, and when they do they rely on the atmosphere to nudge the captives to talk; actual torture is not included, though there do seem to be staff members with a deep knowledge of pharmaceuticals...)

There is the dawn of a possible romance, which I was more aware of having read the later book in the series, but here it's presented in a believable fashion, not too overwhelming. And Jane, level-headed businesswoman that she is, can acknowledge her attraction without being too distracted from her many responsibilities.

If she and her staff are a bit too good to be true, well, sometimes that's what I want in a novel!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Parlee Farm, 95 Farwell Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 30, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at Parlee Farm, 95 Farwell Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book at the farm stand at Parlee, after a visit with the goats {wry grin}. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 31, 2018
Found at Parlee Farms. The goats didn’t eat it.