Fruits Basket Another, Vol. 1

by Natsuki Takaya | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1975353390 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 24, 2018
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble today. It's from a short sequel-series to the Fruits Basket series, focusing on the next generation.

Later: While it was fun encountering the kids of the various couples from the previous series - and guessing who belonged to whom, as some are less obvious than others - the storyline here didn't enthrall me quite as much. For one thing, since the zodiac curse was broken there's no "don't hug me!" situation going on here; the plot centers on a new girl, whose abusive mother has left her painfully shy and apologetic, and convinced that nobody will ever like her and it's all her fault. Cue the arrival of various Sohmas and friends, to try and welcome her into their clan and bolster her self-confidence. The scenes showing her distress are VERY unnerving, and the story might be helpful both in fostering empathy and indicating how to help those who feel like outsiders, but I didn't find it as entertaining a tale as the previous series.

I was pleased with some of the guest appearances, though; among them, Hanajima's little brother, now grown up and teaching at the school - and still offering to put curses on people who cause trouble for those he cares about!

[There's a TV Tropes page for the series, with lots of info - and spoilers, most masked but some not, so read with care!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, YMCA in Methuen, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 16, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, YMCA in Methuen, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Wine+Food challenge. ***