The Sea

by John Banville | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingRoseOfDarknesswing of Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on 7/20/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingRoseOfDarknesswing from Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Friday, July 20, 2018
‘A masterly study of grief, memory and love recollected’ Professor John Sutherland, Chair of Judges, Man Booker Prize 2005

The Sea is John Banville's Man Booker prize-winning exploration of memory, childhood and loss.

When art historian Max Morden returns to the seaside village where he once spent a childhood holiday, he is both escaping from a recent loss and confronting a distant trauma. The Grace family had appeared that long-ago summer as if from another world. Mr and Mrs Grace, with their worldly ease and candour, were unlike any adults he had met before. But it was his contemporaries, the Grace twins Myles and Chloe, who most fascinated Max. He grew to know them intricately, even intimately, and what ensued would haunt him for the rest of his years and shape everything that was to follow.

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
― Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

Journal Entry 2 by wingRoseOfDarknesswing at Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Friday, July 20, 2018
1001 Book
Convention 2019 Mainz

Released 9 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Gute Reise. Happy travelling. Bon voyage.

"In the beginning I was just giving books away. I got a new book, I gave away an old one. I always keep just seven. But then I began to find that others were leaving books where I had left mine and I thought, these are for me. So now I replenish my librarywith the random gifts of unknown strangers and I never know what I will read next."
- Salman Rushdie

Journal Entry 4 by wingAaltsjewing at Terschelling West, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, April 26, 2019
Took it from one of the booktabels during the convention.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAaltsjewing at Advena Europa Hotel in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, April 28, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (4/28/2019 UTC) at Advena Europa Hotel in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

In the bookcase next to the elevator on the 5th floor.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, May 01, 2019
Spotted it at the Advena Hotel's bookshelf. And took it with me as it is on conto's wishlist - and Azuki is going from Mainz to Berlin, where I will most probably meet her again, and from there to Lisbon...

Journal Entry 7 by wingApoloniaXwing at Schöneberg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (5/1/2019 UTC) at Schöneberg, Berlin Germany

Given to Azuki to take with her to Lisbon for conto.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Mitte, Berlin Germany on Thursday, May 02, 2019
ApoloniaX, knowing that there is some empty space in my luggage after unloading all the books in Mainz, has thoughtfully provided me with more books to refill the suitcase.

This book has hitched a ride to Portugal, where the weather is more agreeable and it can actually see the sea.

Journal Entry 9 by conto at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, May 27, 2019
And it is finally with me!
It was kind of a hard ride: from ApoloniaX to Azuki, who left it in the hotel for me and, as I couldn't go and get it for a week or so, they didn't know anything about it when I got to go ank ask. But afterwards they called me, they had found it and I went there today and picked it up.
Thank you so very much, ApoloniaX, for thinking of me and sending it through and thank you as well, Azuki, for bringing "the sea" to Lisbon ;)