The Age of Wonders

by Aron Appelfeld | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 7/19/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, July 19, 2018
This is one of 32 books I selected in July, 2018, at The Book Thing of Baltimore in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, October 16, 2019
I found this to be a well-written yet sad story about a Jewish boy’s experiences in Austria prior to World War II. Although the boy’s Father was a well-known writer and secular Jew, that made no difference to the boy and his family as attitudes toward Jews declined in the pre-war years. Later the boy, now a grown man, returned from his current home in Jerusalem to visit the town in which he grew up. That turned out to be a melancholy and unsatisfactory experience.

Appelfeld does an amazing job of pulling the reader into the emotional space of the protagonist, although it’s a place the reader might rather not be. Reading books of this kind tend to be depressing yet I feel compelled to read them. This one, like others of Appelfeld’s I’ve read, deals with pre-WWII antisemitism, a topic which makes me uncomfortable. The atmosphere presented in the book felt so true that it frightened me. I was actually relieved when the story ended so Bruno could return to Jerusalem.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, October 21, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/21/2019 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book to my friend in Catonsville, Maryland, USA.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2019 Tick Tock Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess. The title of this book contains the word AGE.

----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!